Crop/Image Size

ciaostefanel

Hi, I am almost positive this has been addressed but I am not finding it on your tutorials. Or maybe it was in the Facebook group.

I work exclusively on the web and train people at the university where I work on how to select and resize images for their websites. My preferred method is using the crop tool and inputting the exact W X H in pixels. Two questions: 

1. Can you remind me why the Image > Image Size method is inferior?

2. I was asked today about using the rectangular marquee tool for cropping, which I had never done before. The person was using the Style dropdown and trying to crop using the Fixed Ratio option. 

Thank you!
Stephanie

3 hours ago, ciaostefanel said:

1. Can you remind me why the Image > Image Size method is inferior?

Because you can't crop, of course.  Exactly what you said.  People who use the Image Size method have to use a two-stage processing - cropping first, then Image Size.  Ain't nobody got time fo' 'dat.

3 hours ago, ciaostefanel said:

2. I was asked today about using the rectangular marquee tool for cropping, which I had never done before. The person was using the Style dropdown and trying to crop using the Fixed Ratio option.

That person is an idiot.  Pay no attention to them.  When using that method, you don't have the handy handles at the corners and sides of the marquee, for tweaking your crop.  Plus you don't, as you mentioned, have the control over size and resolution.