Memory cards

Teresa

Hi Damien. I'm not sure if this is something you help with but had to put it out there...  I wondered if you could tell me what kind of memory card I should use to get the best photos I can.  I never really knew there was a difference in them until recently.  I use a canon 5d mark iiI. 

Screenshot_2016-11-27-16-34-37.png

OK, first...

AVOID USING THE SD SLOT IN THE 5D MARK III!! In fact, I'd skip using it altogether!!

Why?

Because when you do, it slows down the write speeds in both slots to 30 mb/s, even though you have a super-fancy and super-expensive fast card in the slot.
This does not happen when you use the CF Slot. The reason is Canon likes to cut corners and I'm pretty sure it boils down to money. Manufacturers have to pay royalties to various companies if they use their technology and I'm sure using a SDHC Slot with higher speeds cost more money to their bottom line.

Same thing happened with the 5D Mark II, Canon used the focusing system from the 5D Mark I, which dated to 2005.  This is the reason that only the center AF point was they only reliable one. Canon cut corners to save money by using an older focusing system. Anyway...

The Sandisk Extreme Pro for $49.99 that you linked to, I'd use that. The CF slot doesn't suffer from the speed issues that I'm talking about.

Now, I'm sure there are some members who question why I recommend skipping the SD slot, and that they have used it with no problems. Of course they would be correct. It really doesn't matter if you do not rely on write times. If you normally photograph something static, like head-shots or your standard portrait, then you are only taking one or two photos at a time, so it's not an issue. That said, if you photograph sports, moving subjects, like running two year olds, or photograph something like a Wedding, chances are you are gonna lay on the shutter and go clickclickclickclickclick every few seconds or so. THAT'S where you see the difference.

• Like 1

I would also purchase this reader:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/810152-REG/SanDisk_SDDR_289_A20_ImageMate_All_in_One_USB_3_0.html

Just as long as you have a USB 3.0 port on your computer. To really take advantage of the faster speeds, it needs to be in a USB 3.0 port. Traditionally, computers and laptops have a mix of USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports. So make sure you plug it into a port marked "SS" (SuperSpeed.) Typically, these ports are blue instead of black.

• Like 1