help with finding backlight color for my 2012 Imac

I've been having some issues with my prints not matching so conducting a calibration with Spyder 4 pro. I'm at the step (following Damiens tutorial) on inserting gamut and backlight and I cannot find the info in my manuals or online. I called Apple today and they seem to think it's a normal gamut and rgb led. I'm thinking the rgb maybe incorrect but like I said I cannot find the info. Can anyone help me in finding this info? I also looked at the display info when clicking about this mac and saw rgb space (is that the same as backlit info?) I need to reorder some canvases for a client that are incorrect so I need to figure this out quickly. Thank you!!

Thank you! At first the screen was very red and warm, more of what I thought I was getting for print. What I got back was cooler, yellow/green, and cyan in tone.

I've calibrated again just recently, I think it's getting closer but still seems a tad off. I've taken my brightness quite a bit down and for some reason it seems brighter now.

yea putting it to 6500 makes it super red, it's pretty and its closer to what my screen was before I calibrated. Using the native makes it closer to my prints but it's still seems like the screen got brighter like there was a soft light haze (its super soft) added. I have my slider for brightness down to 83 now as well which was a lot less than I had it before. When you say grim news what does it mean??? argh!!

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

What do you mean by "got brighter"?  When, exactly?

When I was clicking back and forth between the before and after calibration, it got softer and brighter with the after calibration view

Well this is a bit ridic! I cannot see the difference between these shots I posted! thats not doing me any good.

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Don't bother posting photos, it doesn't help a bit.

Okay :)

9 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

That's right, nobody can.

haha it's obvious! Okay so I think I'm going to go with the 6500 for my calibration. To me it looks closer to my prints right now. Excuse me if this seems stupid to ask but do I just tweak what I have on my screen to match what I now hoped it would be, being then closer to what I thought I did see originally when I ordered these prints I'm comparing to right now?

9 hours ago, angelah said:

haha it's obvious! Okay so I think I'm going to go with the 6500 for my calibration. To me it looks closer to my prints right now. Excuse me if this seems stupid to ask but do I just tweak what I have on my screen to match what I now hoped it would be, being then closer to what I thought I did see originally when I ordered these prints I'm comparing to right now?

Right.

Looking at my prints again, they just do not look that similar, my prints are much darker and greener and duller than what I see on my screen. I don't know if maybe I had unclicked the uncalibrated view when I thought they matched or not. But no matter what I do I cannot get them to look like these prints. Everytime I calibrate, it seems to make the screen redder slightly, like a slight magenta haze. Which is the total opposite of what I have in my hand :( Any thoughts or anything else I can try? Oh and for the heck of it, I tried rgb led and it didn't make a difference.

Sorry for the delayed response. I attempted to order from my newly calibrated monitor again and all the images are the same cyan, yellow, darker in tone than what I see on my screen. I think I have my brightness at around 78 or 79 at this time. Does that affect it? I'm at a loss, I prefer what I see on my screen and I'm ordering from WHCC. Any other suggestions?

29 minutes ago, angelah said:

Sorry for the delayed response. I attempted to order from my newly calibrated monitor again and all the images are the same cyan, yellow, darker in tone than what I see on my screen. I think I have my brightness at around 78 or 79 at this time. Does that affect it? I'm at a loss, I prefer what I see on my screen and I'm ordering from WHCC. Any other suggestions?

It's not about what you prefer. Your monitor is lying to you. :) Your prints are your prints. 

I'd definitely check your colorspace like Christina and Damien mentioned. You'll also need to keep lowering your brightness of your monitor until it matches your prints, and/or increase the light in your room. 

I get that my monitor is lying to me, but it's what I want to see my prints look like, getting the prints is a big surprise when they don't look like what I'm trying to achieve. My room is not dark, I'd do homework/read a book in this light in this light, no light is hitting my monitor and it's very even light (no bright sun at the moment and I calibrated in the same space when the sun was down so it was pretty dim on the darker side) My colorspace was checked all are in srgb as mentioned above. And I do believe my brightness is near what Damien said he had his at correct? @77? I kind of feel that when I unclicked calibration toggle button that the uncal looked closer to what my prints were.

19 minutes ago, Christina Keddie said:

Just checking: did you follow Damien's link above to make sure that the files you sent to print were sRGB?

yes :)

Of course you want your monitor to match your prints.  Our point is that the prints are the actual standard, so you need to get your monitor to match them, not the other way around. Once your monitor matches your prints, then you'll KNOW that what you see on screen is what will be in the print, so you can edit them accordingly in full confidence that they'll turn out as you expect.

• Like 1