Calibrating Monitors in a Work Environment

My friend posted this in a photography group that I'm in. She is a graphic designer and I have searched here trying to find an answer that would apply to her situation. I have added her to our FB page but I don't know how long the process will be to get to the new site and she needs answers now. Here is her question, "

Monitor Color Calibration -- what can you tell me about it? I have someone at work asking me about it and I'd like some other opinions. They want to buy this software to have on about 8 different computers so everyone "sees" the same thing on artwork and photos they're reviewing. 

I was always under the impression that if you're going to color calibrate your monitor that it should be calibrated to your printer's color space, not necessarily what other people see on their monitors. 

Thoughts or insights?"

She needs a more detailed answer as to why? I did tell her some things from your posts on Monitor Calibration, but then she posted this, "See that's the problem ... They aren't trying to calibrate to a printer, but to each other's screens. Isn't the whole point of calibration that you want the output from the printer to be true to what you see on the monitor of your designer (and who cares what the copywriter sees n his screen). Remember... the 8 (or so) people who want this calibration software are not designers or photographers. Two are copywriters, one's a social media editor, one is the designer (so a legit request), one is the supervisor and then there's a couple miscellaneous program/project managers int he group. So not the type of group who would need perfection with on-monitor reviewing of documents being prepped for print." When she says "printer", she means a print lab.

Edited by CathyZarMI
More info

54 minutes ago, CathyZarMI said:

Isn't the whole point of calibration that you want the output from the printer to be true to what you see on the monitor of your designer

Yes, but that's only true if the designer's monitor is adhering to the international colour standards.  That's where calibration comes in.  Once the designer is calibrated, then they have ammunition in any arguments that inevitably arise about print quality.

If a designer's screen isn't calibrated, and they get a print batch back from the printer, and the colours aren't what the designer wanted, they don't have a leg to stand on, you see?  They don't know if the printer messed up, or if their own screen is wrong.

Once they're calibrated, they can be confident that their screen is right; therefore they can take proactive steps to sort out the printing problem.

This will usually involve correct use of CMYK profiles, but that's a conversation for a later time.  I won't discuss that now.