help with restoration

diamante67

processed_19580315_FamilyPSR1.thumb.jpg.I received the attached photo from a family member - it is a tiff file of dimensions 0.8"x0.8" (approx) and 6400px/inch. Could I get some advice on how to deal with the noise, and also if there is any way to improve the lady's eyes? My general plan is to mostly clean up the scratches with cloning/healing, reduce the noise, brighten a bit and bring out a bit of clarity. Would the file be decent enough to print in 8x8 format? Any other advice? I am adding a couple of 700x700px snippets as well.

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

processed_19580315_FamilyPSR1.jpg

Edited by diamante67

29 minutes ago, diamante67 said:

no I did not scan it myself. Someone else did, and I do not think the original is available. Does it look "fishy"?

Well, no, it's just not ideal to be working with a grayscale file.  Better to have an RGB file if possible.  But it's not the end of the world.

23 minutes ago, diamante67 said:

i was also sent a file of the same dimensions that looks like a negative.

Is that one also grayscale mode?

Wait, I forgot to add that to the first one I posted (original post) I changed the color profile from SFprofT to sRGB, because everything was looking blueish, and I also added you b/w conversion. Since I was worried about the grain and details I did not think of mentioning these steps. The negative file came in as "generic RGB" and, as I said the tones are not exactly grayscale.

Edited by diamante67

It is a TIFF. I "think" it was 16 bit but right now I am at work so I cannot check with photoshop. I re-downloaded the image and it shows a bit depth of 64... I am not sure what to make of that.

The photometric interpretation is RGB. Here is the other data

Capture.PNG

Anyway, this looks very promising.

Can you do a couple of things for me?  First, go to Edit>Assign Profile, and change from Generic RGB to sRGB.

Then, add a Levels adjustment layer, and Alt-click on the "Auto" button in the Levels dialog.  Make sure it's set to "Enhance per channel contrast", and set the shadows and highlights clipping to 0.01% each.  Click "Save as defaults" then hit OK.  Save that (keeping it as a tiff is fine, or change to psd, either way is ok.)

Then, show me the photo and the 100% crop again.

here it is. It is interesting because to me they seem all kind of the same, detail-wise; I am glad you think it is promising :)

Unrelated, in the future how do I manage posting pictures given the max total size? I assume that if I clear up my earlier attachments then the images get lost?

19580315_Family_Damien.jpg

Edited by diamante67

10 minutes ago, diamante67 said:

here it is. It is interesting because to me they seem all kind of the same, detail-wise; I am glad you think it is promising :)

The method to my madness is about to become clear, I hope.

Zoom in to 100% view, then go to your Channels panel.  Click on the word "Red", then "Green", then "Blue".  Compare them  I think you'll agree that the red channel has the nicest quality detail.

2 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What makes you say you need to do this?

When I uploaded the last image, I initially saved it with minimum compression. The file was about 9MB and it failed to load. The error pointed out to the max size of the attachments but, given that my file was less than 19MB, it made me think that I had reached some maximum amount of "storage"? for the attachments. I then re-saved the file with slightly lower quality (5MB) and the file uploaded with no problem.

2 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

The method to my madness is about to become clear, I hope.

Zoom in to 100% view, then go to your Channels panel.  Click on the word "Red", then "Green", then "Blue".  Compare them  I think you'll agree that the red channel has the nicest quality detail.

Cool! So, am I supposed to only use the red channel? If so, at what point in the workflow would you recommend doing some noise reduction?