Nikon Upgrade

Royal Jayhawk

Hi Brian - 

This is a bit premature, but I am just starting to think through my strategy for upgrading my Nikon D5000.  Hoping to upgrade in April (POSSIBLY earlier - tax refund... woohoo).

I am considering the D750.  My main concern is whether to do the D750 in April or wait and see whether there is an upgrade by then (D760 or something similar).  Even if something new came out, I feel like it might be hard for me to justify the cheaper D750 especially if new cameras are released.

I think I would like to go FX.  I have the following lenses that would work with FX:

85mm 1.8G and 70-300mm (VR version).  

I would probably plan to get the kit 24-120mm to compliment a D750 purchase, unless you think there are better roads to FX that I should follow that would be more economical in the long-run.

Any thoughts?  I'm hoping this would be a huge improvement over my D5000.  I feel like my current rig is noise city unless it is basically very sunny with ISO200.

Thanks!

-Kris

From what I can tell, the Nikon D810 and D750 are due for an update / refresh. If you want the latest and greatest tech, you will probably be waiting until August/Sept. Nikon has a habit of releasing new bodies around June and then in September, and it takes a few months for the products to hit the shelves. That said, this type of release-theory was about 10 years ago. Now...Nikon has issues, especially in the quality control dept. They announced Nikon DL last year and it looks to be finally available next month, but I wouldn't hold your breath. So my point being is...say a D750s or a D760 is announced, more than likely there will be some sort of delay, THEN some sort of recall because something isn't right. The recall won't come from Nikon, but the threat of a class-action lawsuit will make them change their minds. Then everyone will be in a uproar and people will be all sorts of worried about their brand-new gear, etc. etc. It's happened many times during the last decade.

So here is the thing. The D750 is a nice camera. Sensor is top notch, I really wish they would put a D750 sensor in a D810 body, but that won't ever happen. As it stands, the D750 is a "Mature" product with its issues/quirks being mostly worked out. Since the D750s / D760 looks imminent, there are deals to be had, which allow you to purchase things like other lenses and battery grips. The D750 is "fine." Clean ISO at 6400 and beyond. Light Years away from your D5000. Hell, more-so from an old film guy like me who started back when ISO 400 was considered, "fast." LOL!

Your lenses are "fine." as well. The 70-300 VR is a great lens and I've done some nice work with my 85mm f/1.8G. The biggest think you have to ask yourself is, "What do you shoot and where?" The 24-120 VR is a mid-range professional zoom. It's not a part of the Nikon Trinity, but isn't a slouch either. It's nothing like a 18-55 kit lens. The 24-120 VR have been "kit" lenses with both the D750 and D810. As for other lenses, I'm a OEM snob. I can recommend the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8 over the 24-120VR, but again...it boils down to budget.

So before I start rambling on, and give you my final answer, let's answer these questions: 

"What do you shoot and where?"

"What times are you normally out?"

"Do you do anything with your photos professionally or is it a FB/Flickr/Instagram kinda thing?"

Hi Brian -

Thank you for the informative response!  As for your questions, I feel like I am interested in a wide variety of shooting.  I like to shoot my family / new daughter and my dogs (e.g., some portrait type stuff and just snaps), but I also like to take pictures of my city and places I visit (more artsy and/or landscape).  I will probably take my 70-300 to some baseball games this summer too.  Pretty diverse mix of interest as far as subject matter is concerned.  

I'd say I mostly shoot in the day.  Or indoor when light enough to not use a flash - which is where my d5000 really struggles even with what I perceive as decent light.  I don't use flash often, but that could be just cause I'm still green and learning.  I could see a very occasional evening tripod shot... but mostly daylight.

I'm definitely not a professional.  I also rarely post stuff on FB/Flickr/instagram.  I foresee printing fairly often and making prints for myself, friends and family. May eventually get into it enough to try to sell some stuff, but merely as a hobby.

With that, I go WAY overboard with hobbies.  My other passion is guitar... and I have about 15 of them.  I'm sure my wife is thrilled I am getting into another hobby. With guitars they call it GAS (guitar / gear acquisition syndrome).  I guess in photography it will become LAS (lens acquisition sydrome)? Lol.

Thanks!

-Kris

For Nikon, it's NAS. (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). It's a slippery slope and I have the receipts to prove it. LOL!

OK, throwing this out there, would you consider the Nikon D500? Because the angle of view change that you are going to get with going full frame is going to throw you a bit. On your D5000, the 70-300 performs more like a theoretical 105-450mm lens would on a FX sensor. Your 85mm behaves more like a 135mm would on a FX sensor. Since DX sensors are physically smaller, the image produced has a "magnifying effect," like you would crop an image in PS, so you won't have the "reach" on the D750 as you did on the D5000. It's going to take you a good weekend to get used to the angle of view change, and a few months to really master it.

At this point, I'd say a D750 and a 24-120VR would be a good starting point. I wouldn't bother with a D760 or whatever, because you are going to be buying more lenses than anything. Trust me.

Your 85mm lens will become a better "Portrait" lens and start producing photos that it was meant to. I'm sure you are going, "Huh?" What I mean is the lens optically is 85mm, but with the angle of view change at the DX sensor it behaves closer to a 135mm, but without the compression that you get with a 135mm lens. Full frame has a different "Look" to it. So when you take portraits of your Dog and Daughter, with the 85, you will get more of the fuzzy-wuzzy "awwww....that's so cute" shots with the D750. When I shoot my bridal portraits and want the fuzzy-wuzzy photo of the Bride-by-the-Window with shallow Depth of Field, I'm using my 85mm. So if you don't want that look, then you are buying another lens.

The average cost to switch to full frame is around $4000. Since you have a few FX lenses, your costs will be lower or end up being the same price (or more) in a few years. I speak from experience. I feel if you hold out for the D760 or whatever, you will closer to the $4000 mark being spent. Right now Nikon has a sale going for a D750 and 24-120 for $2400. If that was a new D760, that kit would be closer to $3800.

Ok, I was right, Nikon is hurting. They just announced a 53 Billion Yen loss, which equals around 46-47 Billion US Dollars. Major restructuring is happening and I feel that price drops are ahead.  Hopefully Nikon will have product releases that people actually want because Nikon needs cash, like now. That said, I think a greater emphasis will be placed on high-profit items, which probably won't please the masses. 

So I would keep saving and be on the lookout over the next few months for deals. 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

They just announced a 53 Billion Yen loss, which equals around 46-47 Billion US Dollars.

I think that would be about $460 million US Dollars. So, clearly compared to your stated 46 billion US dollars we are talking chump change. :D

Your point is well taken though and I appreciate the information.  I am probably waiting until April regardless.

Thanks!

-Kris

So - my busy time at work is nearing its end (which means I will be able to start posting some edits again soon)... but I wanted to take a moment to share that I just attempted to spoil myself by going with the D810 instead of the D750 which is what I originally thought I would be going for.  Still getting the kit lens version.  I just tried to order it a few moments ago but it seems the major players in online retail are closed for passover.  So... mandatory week and a half cooling off period for me to make sure I'm not being stupid!! 

Nevertheless, wanted to update you, Brian.  And thank you for all of your help here.  Tell me if you think I am dumb for going D810.  I have some time.  Hahaha.  But, I figure I can splurge on harddrives in the future if I can splurge on a camera like this one... hahaha.

Cannot wait until the online shops open again.

-Kris

The D810 is a fine camera. You aren't being dumb. In fact, Thom Hogan says that it's the "Best All-Around DSLR..." or something to that effect, and I agree with him. If you are looking for a true "Upgrade," I'd say the D810 would be a better bet. I feel that the D750 for you would be a stop-gap and you'd be back to square-one in 12-18 months kicking yourself on why you just didn't buy the D810 to begin with. Nikon is in trouble at the moment. I don't see a D820/D850/D900 or whatever for the next few months. Maybe the refresh will hit late this year or even early next year. Who knows? All that is on the horizon for the DSLR bodies is the "D7500," which is using the D500's sensor and makes the most logical sense for Nikon.

That said, the massive RAW files will make your computer whine and complain. So it's just not hard drive space, but CPU speed, RAM and video card speed / video memory. If you already have a fast computer, you may not notice much or your computer can go to a complete crawl...it's all relative. Since you are just a "hobbyist" at this point and aren't shooting, say a wedding, I'd say you can get away with a D810, massive files and all, unless you are into panoramas or editing batches of photos at a time. If you are, I'd try and get at least 32GB of RAM for your computer, IF you have Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10. Windows 7 Home Premium caps out at 16GB of RAM.

If I had to buy a D810 combo today, I would get this configuration. I would also get at least one of this Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Card, which will give you the option of using the CF card 1st and then use the SD card as an overflow, for a little under 64GB total. I am also paranoid when it comes to my power-sources. I won't ever use 3rd party batteries or battery grips. So while you are at it, I'd buy at least one of the Nikon EN-EL15 batteries. These newer Nikon batteries are more eco-friendly, but don't last as long, so it's good to have a few spares.

Now some friends of mine have used 3rd party batteries over the years with little to no problems, others have fried their cameras (especially Nikon D700 owners using 3rd party stuff,) so since this my group and you are "Asking Brian," I'm gong to recommend sticking with Nikon Batteries. Besides, there is only around a $15 difference between the Watson battery and the Nikon OEM version. My advice: Spend the extra $14.05 for the Nikon OEM. 

I added all three items to a shopping cart and we are up to $3395.90, plus applicable shipping an tax. Which is cheaper than if you bought the D810 and 24-120 f/4 VR separately. Plus you get a 4TB HD AND a 32GB SD card to go with it! Long term: I'd purchase a 3rd battery or invest in the Nikon MB-D12 Battery Grip and a couple of those 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Cards. Maybe even invest in a 64GB version. Either way, I would purchase CF / SD media that has write speeds of 95MB/s. The D810 writes at 90MB/s, or somewhere around there. So don't cheap out and get slower cards, that 36MP sensor likes to throw data at cards. 

• Like 1

In addition, NIKON HAS BEEN RAISING PRICES AROUND THE WORLD. So even though I haven't heard rumors as far as the US prices are concerned, you might just want to go ahead and click "Buy" and they will ship in a few days. The prices usually increase by a few hundred and combo / instant rebates go away. I'd hate for you to lose out on $800+ instant savings, plus get a free 4TB EHD and 32GB SD card.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, Brian said:

In addition, NIKON HAS BEEN RAISING PRICES AROUND THE WORLD. So even though I haven't heard rumors as far as the US prices are concerned, you might just want to go ahead and click "Buy" and they will ship in a few days. The prices usually increase by a few hundred and combo / instant rebates go away. I'd hate for you to lose out on $800+ instant savings, plus get a free 4TB EHD and 32GB SD card.

I am ordering today!  The website for B&H starts accepting orders tonight at 8:45pm Eastern... so I have set a reminder to order tonight.  Again, I really appreciate your help.  

I cannot wait until this thing exposes every mistake that I make while shooting. ;)  But in all seriousness, I am super-excited to keep learning and grow as a photographer with such an amazing new tool in the arsenal.  I'll never have an excuse to blame the equipment going forward... hahaha.

-Kris

5 hours ago, Royal Jayhawk said:

I'll never have an excuse to blame the equipment going forward... hahaha

I just picked up a used D3s in good shape. Amazing camera, I can no go places that I couldn't before....AAAANNNDDD currently seem to be producing the world's most awful photographs. LOL!!

Take time to get to know your camera. Play with it and fiddle. Especially in learning how to hold it. That 36.1mp sensor takes getting used to. Not only for the massive Raw files, but at that resolution, you will blow a lot of shots in terms of camera shake / lack of sharpness until you get used to it. If you have a tripod, be sure to use it.

Have fun with your new toy.

Hi Brian - 

I received my camera and am super happy!  I just thought I would post this here because others might be interested... Nikon has dropped prices on the d810 (apparently yesterday).  Actually, I am pretty sure the drops affect more than the d810.  Anyway, I initially bought the package you recommended (storage package).  I have since decided to make an exchange with B&H on paper where I pay outright for the 4TB harddrive and get the base package d810 from B&H.  This got me a free battery grip, free bag, free 64gb SD card and free off-brand battery (which I won't use based on your comments above).  Plus, I will be getting some cash refunded since the harddrive is cheap.  Hahaha. 

When I made my purchase, I had already purchased a 64gb compact flash card.  So, I am good there.  I had a Nikon EN-EL15 battery coming, which arrives today.  But now I am questioning whether I should send it back now that I have the battery grip and I am pretty much a hobbyist.  

Anyway - in case anyone else is in the market - there are good deals to be had!!

-Kris

One more thing, Hobbyist or Pro...

Nothing sucks more than being out in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from your vehicle and have a dead battery on your hands. LOL!!

• Like 1

Quick Tip: The rubber gasket that pops off the bottom of the D810, so the contacts on the grip connect to the body, place the gasket in the little holder / slot on the batter grip. This way it won't get lost.

• Like 1