Making a clean background

wota

Damien, I am stuck. I have no idea what to do from here. I am trying a gradient after I do the selection with the poly tool. I don't understand this. First off it takes me forever to use the poly tool, because It takes me like 20 times to just make a selection, because it will just close up the selection on its own after a couple clicks and I have to keep starting it over. I finally got a selection, doing sort of like the video, not being super particular about getting right around all the nooks and crannies of the subject. Then I go in make the gradient linear, set at 0, like yours was in the psd file. Then I choose the color gradient,and go through and sample them all so they all turn some sort of shade of grey. But how am I supposed to keep trying to blend the gradient when it doesn't change anything in the selection? I mean I still have flooring and such showing inside my selection, so am I supposed to get a closer selection? I am lost.  I started working on a second one just using a brush, and zooming way in, and pixel by pixel going around the edge of everyone coloring in with the gradient. Which is major time consuming and imperfect too. 

DSC_4188stuck.png

I think you need to go a bit closer to them than that, with the lasso selection.

3 minutes ago, wota said:

because it will just close up the selection on its own after a couple clicks and I have to keep starting it over

This happens if you click too quickly.  If it thinks you've double-clicked, it will close it.  Take your time.

ok, how is this? That was a tough edit. Also, do you have any advice for how I can shoot this better next time around? How could I make this easier on myself in the future? I will have more of this group to shoot over the year, so hoping I can improve how I shoot a large group, before I even have to open PS. 

4188WOTAJATGC.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wota said:

Also, do you have any advice for how I can shoot this better next time around? How could I make this easier on myself in the future? I will have more of this group to shoot over the year, so hoping I can improve how I shoot a large group, before I even have to open PS.

Gosh, with a bigger backdrop, of course!

Edit looks great, just needs to be darker at the left.

Well, I understand a bigger backdrop LOL!:) Just was wondering if there was anything else that might be helpful. I ordered the largest size seamless backdrop I could find too.