Help!! I'm trying to clean up the edges of a mask on an image

CathyZarMI

I'm trying to clean up the edges of a mask on this image and I keep getting random "unclean" edges. I've turned off airbrush on the brush, checked what brush I'm using, and cleaned my wacom surface and "nib" (the wacom was doing weird things...after cleaning, the weirdness went away). Despite all this I still can't seem to get a clean edge. I thought it may be that I need to get a new "nib," but it does it when I don't use the wacom pad too. Ugh...

ForCC_IMG_7518.jpg

700 crop IMG_7518.jpg

15 minutes ago, CathyZarMI said:

I can't find the hardness slider. I updated PS CC thinking that would solve it and that may have changed where it was found before?

I found the hardness but it didn't make any difference...

3 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Ok, what is that adjustment layer doing, exactly?

The one that I have the 100% crop of is for turning the background black and white (not her and the pom poms). I'll just name what each is for from bottom to top; 

The background copy is for cleaning up the background, the next adjustment is for turning the background black and white (not her and the pom poms), next is for brightness/contrast, and the top layer is where I had to fix chipped fingernail paint.

Yeah, I'd say it was an issue with the B/C layer itself - possibly you were too aggressive with the sliders.

Sadly, you never answered this question ...

56 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Ok, what is that adjustment layer doing, exactly?

... so we weren't able to diagnose it.

You should NEVER be using the Brightness/Contrast feature anyway - it's the absolute worst thing in Photoshop.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:59 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Yeah, I'd say it was an issue with the B/C layer itself - possibly you were too aggressive with the sliders.

Sadly, you never answered this question ...

... so we weren't able to diagnose it.

You should NEVER be using the Brightness/Contrast feature anyway - it's the absolute worst thing in Photoshop.

Yes, I wasn't able to answer as I had to shut down for the night. After doing some more troubleshooting, I believe it was something to do with both the Brightness/contrast layer AND the the Back and White layer. I redid both, and there is no longer a problem. About using the Brightness/Contrast...I guess I should use levels instead?

ForCC_IMG_7518b.jpg

11 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

No, not necessarily Levels.  It depends on what you were trying to achieve.

I was trying to get the backgrounds on a series of images to be the same intensity and shade (the room was a nightmare to photograph in...one green wall, another pink, another gray...AND SMALL!). The easiest way was to just go b&w on the background and then adjust the brightness. Of course the backdrop had a lot of wrinkles even though I steamed it before I left. I think I seen a tutorial from you where you used levels to make an all white background and it also gave the look of smoothing out the background? I'm thinking I'm going to get a roll of background paper!

Edited by CathyZarMI
unclear