Nkon Wide angle lenses

I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my Nikon 14-24 f/2.8. It's worth every penny. 

The reason I went with that over the 16-35 f/4, is that I didn't like the Barrel Distortion in the middle of the photo with the 16-35 @ 16mm, and didn't like how the lens performed at 35mm either. Software really didn't correct the shortcomings at 16mm and 35mm, so basically it sucked at the ends. What's cool about the 16-35, is that it takes filters.

If you are looking to save money, the Nikon 18-35mm is also decent and I would buy that over the 16-35.

But the 14-24....such a sweet and tack-sharp lens. Before Canon came out with their 16-35 f/2.8 update, Canon users would rent a Nikon 14-24 and use an adapter with their Canon bodies.

It's that good.

Did I say how much I love my 14-24? LOL!!

• Like 1

Thoughts on the 14-24:

You will need practice, moving just a few inches at 14mm changes the distortion dramatically. So you will need to fiddle and learn how to use the lens and watch your sides. It's kinda like a Fender Telecaster, it takes practice and a certain touch to pull great stuff out of that lens. The 24-70 is a Fender Stratocaster, and the 70-200 is like a Gibson Les Paul. 

Once you figure out the 14-24's personality, it's magic.

Downside to the 14-24: The stinking price on the Lee filter gadget so you can use Graduated ND / ND filters and such. Oh, the lens cap is "odd;" it's like a coffee can lid and is really easy to grab (pops off) while your 14-24 demonstrates that gravity is still working when pulling it out of your bag. So watch how you hold/grab it, you don't want to do any "drop tests."

I could upload a few photos of mine that I took with the 14-24 if you'd like.

• Like 1

Brian. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond at such length. I am convinced! Just need a customer to pay her bill....

I would love to see some photos if that's not too much trouble :-)

All of these photos were taken with my D700, so you take advantage of what this lens is capabile of. For those Nikon shooters who shoot crop, I would suggest the 10-24mm DX or 12-24 DX.

Here is a photo at 14mm where you can see the distortion:

LAN_2680.jpg

When I first got my 14-24, I took it on a "Barnstormers Tour" and only used that lens. I wanted to really play with it and didn't want to be tempted switching to another lens. One lens, one camera. This is a single shot. Notice the colors produced with this lens, it's not all about sharpness.

LAN_2574-F.jpg

LAN_2636-F (Straightened).jpg

LAN_2775-CLR.jpg

Here is the lens at 14mm and f/2.8. That sucker is as sharp as a prime in this range:

LAN_2802-F.jpg

I was about 3-4 feet away from those boards. Very little sharpening done in PS.

I took this lens with me to Bar Harbor, Maine. This is one of my first Astro-Photography shots. I have MUCH to learn taking photos like this one, as this is one of the few that came out. The Planet Mars is on the left.

LAN_4621.jpg

My Son wanted me to take a few photos of his Honda Del Sol before he started tinkering with it. You can see the distortion in these photos as I was at 14mm and only a few feet away.

LAN_7786.jpg

LAN_7811.jpg