did not shoot wide enough - stretching a canvas

Diana

Ok... it seems I need to go back to RAW & get that white like it should be. I get uneasy about making portraits too bright so I backed off a bit too much I see.

Once I do that, I will not be changing it at all.

Ok, in that case, I think we can get away with the easiest option.

1. Duplicate the Background layer
  2. Go to the Canvas Size dialog, and extend the size at that side
  3. Flip the new layer horizontally, then move it across so it lines up perfectly (zoom in greater than 100% view to ensure this)
  4. Add a new blank layer and clone out as much elbow as needed

flipbg.thumb.jpg.365533ca8292cd2ca65b3ad62986f7ec.jpg

• Like 1

Once I do this, can I then flatten it down to the background, since I won't need it again? I need to do a small bit of liquefy and I run that on a duplicate background layer as well. I've had issues with doing 2 duplicate background layers, 1 for liquefy & 1 for a dust and scratches layer. They don't seem to play together well.  I am not sure which to do first and I don't want to do them on the same layer. I don't need to do it often, but I had a "before and after" photo for my MUA and wanted to slightly smooth out her skin with Dust & Scratches in the "before" photo. I had to move layers around to get both to show up.

I must not understand something correctly. I duplicated the layer, then staying on that duplicate layer (called extend canvas), went to Canvas Size dialog & flipped horizontally. It flipped my whole image...both layers. I guess I am not sure why I have to flip horizontal, when both layers flip. I will add screen shots of what happened. What did I do wrong? I also looked at the Layer drop-down and  did not see anything about only flipping that layer.

ask Damien - fliping image horizontal.jpg

ask Damien Canvas Dialog box.jpg

ask Damien, both layers flipped.jpg

I got it but I am not sure how I did it...lol... I got just the layer to flip. Maybe I right clicked the image after I hit Control +T and then saw the Free Transform.

1 hour ago, Diana said:

Once I do this, can I then flatten it down to the background, since I won't need it again? I need to do a small bit of liquefy and I run that on a duplicate background layer as well.

No, do your liquify first.

1 hour ago, Diana said:

I've had issues with doing 2 duplicate background layers, 1 for liquefy & 1 for a dust and scratches layer. They don't seem to play together well.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2015/07/order-of-layers-for-complex-pixel-edits.html

• Like 1

Oh... I totally missed the "flip layer" option. I guess I really need to LOOK at the whole drop down. I'm sorry.... Thanks for the link above. I will check it out!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I tried looking around on your blog, but must have missed it or forgotten it as I don't normally do more than 1 pixel editing layer. :D:D:D

3 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:
  1. Add a new blank layer and clone out as much elbow as needed

flipbg.thumb.jpg.365533ca8292cd2ca65b3ad62986f7ec.jpg

I did not need to Clone any arm at all... I just needed a tiny bit extra room. Thanks again Damien! You Rock!!!!

• Like 1