Dell XPS 8700 and U2412M monitor

Hey Brian - Have been on the phone with Dell re the problem with the calibration being off on the monitor I have which was fine until a couple of months ago (Dell U2412M and Spyder4Pro post). Dell is willing to replace the monitor but they would like me to try out a different connecting cable first and then calibrate.  I have VGA cable because the monitor doesn't have a HDMI port. They want to me to a DVI to HDMI (DVI for the monitor and HDMI for the computer) and I wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks - Jennifer

Just went to Best Buy and picked up HDMI to DVI-D cable. They also had a Display Port to HDMI cable. I believe the U2412M has a display port. Is one of these better than the other?

19 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I have VGA cable because the monitor doesn't have a HDMI port.

What?!? The Dell U2412M has a VGA port (Blue) DVI Port (White) and a cousin of a HDMI port, called a DisplayPort.

From Left to Right:

DisplayPort | DVI Port | VGA Port | USB B (In) | USB A (Out)

http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/dell_u2412m/anschluesse2.jpg

Your Dell 8700 should have a DVI port on the back of it. It's in the slot, not along the ports of the motherboard. Your Dell U2412M should have had a HDMI cable in the box. The ends of the cable are white. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE A VGA CABLE WITH TODAY'S FANCY FLAT-SCREEN DISPLAYS. Those VGA cables were only meant for CRT (TUBE) Displays up to 20".  In addition, those stupid VGA cables that come in the box are CRAPPY. They just suck. I can't tell you how many display issues are caused by that VGA cable, so I agree with Dell...let's try a new cable first.

I would use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Or a DVI from the computer to the DVI port on the monitor. In either case, THROW AWAY THAT VGA CABLE. :)

Hey Brian - I was wrong about the VGA cable. I got confused and thought the DVI was the VGA. So it was a DVI to DVI cable I actually had been using. I tried the new cable last night, recalibrated and still no good. So Dell is sending me a  replacement monitor - hopefully should get it by wednesday. When I get the new monitor, do you think I should continue using just the DVI cable or is the DVI/HDMI cable better? Or go with the Displayport/HDMI cable?

Oops - just saw your replay. Thanks:) I'll keep the Displayport/HDMI cable then