Pen Display Tablets and Computers

Hi, I'm wondering what your take on Pen Displays (Cintiq 22HD, UGEE 2150, etc)  and Pen Computers (Wacom MobileStudio, Surface Pro 4) are.  I love the idea of them. Editing directly on the image rather than using a pen mouse and looking at a screen in front of me. But, are they actually good for editing, using Photoshop? Or are they really more for artists creating digital art?

Thanks!

It really boils down to the level of control that you want while editing your images. If you are constantly zooming in and cloning out stray hairs or doing restoration work, tablets are extremely useful to have. I know Damien loves his Wacom, and I've been meaning to get one for awhile.

Here is the thing with the Surface Pros and the like: They can be a real pain to calibrate. Like have a bottle of Tequila and Aspirin at the ready, because after the 80th time trying to calibrate, it still doesn't match your prints. Though my information is probably dated, and they could have gotten better. Since the bulk of the members here rarely post in my section or give me a heads up, it's hard to say. That said, you might want to give this article to read: https://www.damiensymonds.net/what2buy_tab.html

Any thoughts @Damien Symonds? What say you?

9 hours ago, WendyBird said:

Hi, I'm wondering what your take on Pen Displays (Cintiq 22HD, UGEE 2150, etc)

In my opinion, complete overkill.  Just get a regular tablet to replace your mouse.  As you say, they are for artists.

9 hours ago, WendyBird said:

and Pen Computers (Wacom MobileStudio, Surface Pro 4)

In addition to Brian's thoughts, it always comes back to the last paragraph in this article.  Don't do it.