Color too saturated/bright?

Rachelle T

I enjoy the technical part of photography.  One thing I'm yet to understand:  

How do I know when/if my colors are too saturated or bright (I don't know which term is best)?  

I check skin tones to make sure the red channel is below a certain level, but I don't if I should be checking levels of the other areas/colors in my pictures.  I usually edit everything by hand, but I just downloaded a few fun presets in LR and it made this pink shirt very saturated/bright.  How do I know if it's too much (from a technical standpoint)?

I'm actually headed to bed now.  So I'll look for my post again when I wake up.  Thank you.

02122016-210fp.jpg

02122016-210S00C.jpg

Edited by Rachelle T

Thank you, I'm reading the links now.  I've always wondered about the quote below as well (I was taught to do that when watching a Creative Live by a wedding photographer, because he said the printers can't handle printing beyond 15 and 245, so anything beyond that is really considered clipped.)  Guess not!

"By the way, I’ve encounted a strange school of thought that anything above 245 is clipped. This misunderstanding arises when people are advised to keep their highlights at 245. Regardless of your tonal range strategy, you may be assured that 255 is clipped, anything less is absolutely fine."

Edited by Rachelle T

57 minutes ago, Rachelle T said:

Thank you, I'm reading the links now.  I've always wondered about the quote below as well (I was taught to do that when watching a Creative Live by a wedding photographer, because he said the printers can't handle printing beyond 15 and 245, so anything beyond that is really considered clipped.)  Guess not!

Yeah, the soft-proofing will tell you if the printer can't handle something.

Funny thing, I already have those actions.  I started using them years ago and LOVED them, but then I stopped using them because I didn't like that they didn't show me my clipping starting at 245, and 15.  Now that I'm back on track, did I correct the clipping correctly?  I just desaturated the specific color and applied it where the action said I needed it, using a mask.  I've always kept the red channel, for skin, below around 243.  So, am I really able to take that all the way to 250 as well, and have it print ok?