Removing bra strap under lacy clothing

LSSmith

Good morning, Damien! I have an image in which the lady is wearing a white bra under a black lacy top. I'd like to remove the white and replace it with flesh (or at least flesh tones). The only way that I can think of is to paint the white with a flesh tone and then superimpose cloned/patched skin on top of the paint. I'm hoping that there's a simpler way to do that. I have enrolled in the layers/masks class, so if the answer is there, please point me to it. Thanks, in advance for your help. Cropped image is attached for reference.

bra strap.jpg

55 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Do you only have this one image to deal with?  Or does this problem pop up a few times?

This problem pops up several times in this particular photo session. Most clients take me seriously when I emphasize the importance of nude-colored "foundation garments". Why? *curious*

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Well, I have to think about the method I suggest to you, you see?  What works for this photo might not work for another photo.

So, could you show me one or two other close-ups of the problem as well?

Aha! Absolutely, I can. Gimme a few. *humming the Jeopardy theme tune*

• Like 1

I must not be doing something correctly. I cannot get the color change to affect ONLY the bra strap. I followed the instructions in the article link. The change was image wide. I've tried using the quick selection tool to create a layer with only the bra strap areas selected. No dice. The eyedropper effect is image-wide. What am I doing wrong? I'm under a time constraint and I'm beginning to panic. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Damien, I owe you an apology.

Last Friday, when I could not make your solution work, I panicked and asked you for more help. Due to the time difference between our respective locations, I didn't see your request until late Friday night, when I was getting ready to pull an all-nighter on a different editing job. I took my temper out on you with my snippy questions, and I apologize. You did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment, and I do know better than to treat others that way. I hope that you can forgive me for my poor behavior.

In the good news department, in the process of doing the other editing job, I realized what I was doing wrong with the eye-dropper technique. Naturally, it turned out to be a simple thing. (I excel at screwing up simple things.) I am accustomed to selecting specific portions of images to which to apply adjustments.  I completely forgot that all I had to do, this time, was to switch the mask from white to black, and simply paint the flesh tones onto the areas that needed it.

I double-checked my suspicions against your Masks and Layers class, and discovered that the solution was, indeed, as simple as inverting the mask before painting.

Verily, I am a moron.

So, thank you for your help. It did do the trick, and I'm grateful.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.