Best way to change painted numbers on a building

Kiwiellis

What is the easiest and most realistic-looking way to go about changing the numbers on this barn to '17 and '21?  My initial thought is that I'd probably clone out the current numbers, then change the numbers and maybe use one of the blending modes to get the texture of the wall/roof to show through.  I anticipate some issues with perspective on this too.  Before I get too far into it, I thought I'd see if I'm thinking in the right direction?    

Once I get this fixed I think I might want to drop a prettier sky into the background, but I'll be asking about that in a separate post. ;)

This image is SOOR.

Thank you!!

032617092.jpg

19 minutes ago, Kiwiellis said:

My initial thought is that I'd probably clone out the current numbers, then change the numbers and maybe use one of the blending modes to get the texture of the wall/roof to show through.

Yep, exactly this.

Another difficulty will be finding a suitable font.

Here's where I am so far.  None of the blending modes are really accomplishing the job.  Right now the white '20 is in Hard Light mode, and the '17 is in Multiply.  It really just looks like I lowered the opacity a little bit so you can see the wall texture through it - it doesn't look painted on.  There are some other modes that really make it look ON there, but those modes change the colors of the text.  Advice?

032617092.jpg

Edited by Kiwiellis

14 minutes ago, Kiwiellis said:

There are some other modes that really make it look ON there, but those modes change the colors of the text.

Yes, use these modes.  And then yes, change the colour of your text layers until it looks like a match.

I had to put this on the back burner because my husband had back surgery last week, so I'm just now getting back to it this week.  I guess I don't really know how blending modes work with color, because I've played around with what feels like every color and can't get even close.  For the 21, the blending modes that look the best are either Hue/Saturation/Color or Overlay.  But with Hue/Sat/Color it changes the color to very dark gray (that's when the text color is set to white) - that's the lightest color I can get.  On Overlay is makes a crazy/bright red, and that's the closest I can get to the white.  For the 17, Overlay is about the only thing that looks believable, and that makes it a very light/transparent red when the text color is set to white.   Do you have any advice on how I can arrive at the colors I need?

032617092.jpg

How do you do that? :P  I tried the pale green on the '21 and it got really close.   I feel like I see a bit of a pink tinge in it, but only on the thumbnail.  Good enough, you think?

The '17 still doesn't look 100% believable to me.  But I'm also too much of a perfectionist.  So if you think it looks ok, I'm moving on!

032617092_2.jpg

I clearly don't understand exactly how color works...  I'm working on trying to tweak the color on the 21.  My thought was that if I did a color sample of the original white, and then made the color numbers match for the color of the 21, then they would match.  But that is not the case.  Can you explain the error in my thinking?  I attached a screenshot.

I tried various types of blur filters on the edges and still not hitting it.  When you said "blur the text" did you just mean soften the edges with a feathered brush?  Or literally blur it?  If blur, Gaussian, or some other type?

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 10.14.47 AM.png

5 hours ago, Kiwiellis said:

I clearly don't understand exactly how color works...  I'm working on trying to tweak the color on the 21.  My thought was that if I did a color sample of the original white, and then made the color numbers match for the color of the 21, then they would match.

Yeah, no.  You can never predict how blend modes will work.  You just need to play with the colour until it looks right.  For the 21, I tried 186/214/207 and it looked pretty close.

Yes, Gaussian blur.  After you've got the text exactly how you want it, change the text layer to a smart object, then apply the gaussian blur.

It's a phrase they say for Texas A&M University.  From the Aggie Glossary: "Whoop!: Aggie upperclassmen say this as an expression of approval. Freshman and sophomores are not supposed to say it." LOL

Thanks so much for your help!

• Like 1