Warm prints

Hi! Signing up for RAW, and directed to post here regarding having a calibrator Spyder5 but prints not matching. ProDPI - prints come back warm. Within the Spyder calibration software, I'm at 61 brightness, 2.2 gamma, and 5000K. I use a Dell U2412M monitor in a room with closed windows and 6 - 4200K lights overhead. My monitor is connected to my computer via a VGA cable. I don't know what else to say.

Thanks!

In answer to your question in your email (not mentioned here) yes, a DVI cable really can make a difference.  No guarantees, but it is definitely something you should try if possible.

61 brightness is far too low.  You need to get some more light in your room if at all possible.

Each light has 980 lumens x 6 is 5,880 lumens in the room that is 16' x 9' (4.8 x 2.7 m) and standard 8' (2.4 m) in height. It's so bright to me. However, a few lamps? I can't put in any more overhead.  

How about painting the yellow to a white or light gray? 

9 minutes ago, S. Roberts said:

Each light has 980 lumens x 6 is 5,880 lumens in the room that is 16' x 9' (4.8 x 2.7 m) and standard 8' (2.4 m) in height. It's so bright to me.

Yeah, it sounds bright. But gee, if you're having to go as low as 61 during calibration, to get a print match, that's a worry.

You said it's a Dell, right?  What brightness setting do you have the Dell at, to get the 61 reading?

On modern screens, Contrast should pretty much always be left at the factory default setting.

It mightn't be a bad idea, just before your next calibration (which will be when you get the DVI cable) to find the "Reset factory defaults" button in your Dell's menu, to make sure Contrast is at default.

42 minutes ago, S. Roberts said:

Yeah, it's fairly normal for it to be in the teens for those screens.

15 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

it's fairly normal for it to be in the teens for those screens.

This is great new. 

16 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

mightn't be a bad idea, just before your next calibration (which will be when you get the DVI cable) to find the "Reset factory defaults" button in your Dell's menu, to make sure Contrast is at default.

I hope to report back tomorrow - well, my tomorrow anyway.

I tried waiting until night to calibrate so I eliminate any ambient daylight. Is that necessary? I tried it tonight and an 18 on the Dell got me to 79 in the Spyder software. (I wanted to see what it would take to get to 80 as an experiment. 80 being the low end you suggested. ) It seemed like a big jump as 14 on the Dell got me to 62 in the Spyder during a daytime calibration just trying to greatly reduce ambient daylight. 

I used a different lab for rush shipping, Miller's as opposed to my usual ProDPI. It was the same file. Miller's is so much closer to my monitor, still a bit yellow, but wow. This adds to my confusion.

When I line up photos from ProDPI, they chronologically become warmer. The last set was quite noticeable. I've reached out to them. 

(Miller's left, ProDPI right)

20170512_124346.jpg

Here is my monitor with the ProDPI lab print. (If ProDPI is giving me correct color, where does that leave my monitor? 5000k right now, can't make it warmer.) I'll post Miller's next. 

20170512_125316.jpg

ProDPI comes back with, usually a little more yellow (warmth) than my monitor. Maybe even more saturation.

This last batch was particularly pink-ish. (Red or magenta.) Which got me looking closely at my monitor and color. 

In the photos above with each lab print next to my monitor, I opened the shutter to allow more daylight to fall on the print. My lights are also on. In the side-by-side lab print photo on my desk, it was only artificial light. 

I need you to know that I'm ignoring all the photos you've taken of your photos.  Sadly, they're meaningless to me.  It would be great if I could trust them, but I can't.  Screens don't photograph well.

I just need to know the answer to my question.

15 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Is the comparison the same in daylight (if you open your blinds during the day) as it is under your lights?

(I misread your question.)

Comparison between print and monitor is different. With the window open there is more light in the room, the color issue (too yellow or too red) is minimized with the increased brightness. The color mismatch from the monitor is still apparent.

Maybe? I'm getting a lamp, so we'll see. Several people see the color problem with me. In the room. With and without daylight. 

This hurts. I can't find a DVI cable yet. I may order one online. Thanks for your support. I'll report back.