Editing event photography

Hi, Damien,

Wondering if you have any suggestions/guidelines on how to approach editing several hundred images for sporting events in a short time frame. These are basically courtesy photos. It's not feasible to give 800 images a full levels edit within optimal turn-around time. In the past, I have spent days photographing events, and then days sorting and editing (admittedly badly), but that's simply not a sustainable model.

I dig your action for creating web-ready images with my signature and borders. So I am kind of thinking doing my raw edits in groups of 15 or so, opening them in PS, possibly adding some midtone contrast, and then running your action. Would love to hear any thoughts or advice you have on the optimal intersection of speed and quality for these images.

Of course, if anyone wants to purchase a print, I would provide a more carefully edited file.

Does this sound reasonable approach? What could improve this process? Thanks for your perspective.

Cheers,

msn

Yes, this is something I am very, very interested in getting nailed down and I want your insights. Please bear with me as I have just too many balls in the air right now. Thanks for checking in on this. Looking forward to your feedback on my approach.

Okay, back to this. You asked for a couple of example images, and I am giving you those that I have been working on with you today. For the regatta I photographed this weekend, I have selected around 300 images I want to provide in a relatively short time frame. It's my hope that I can apply some standard full-image edits that will give them enough polish and oomph that people will be pop them straight into their social media accounts (and possibly order a print from me).

For the attached images, I added a levels layer with either an overlay or soft light blending mode set at somewhere between 15-30 percent. I know they are not anything close to the quality of a fully edited image with levels work, but I guess I am just wanting to provide what I hear bounced around as a "clean edit" or something along those lines. 

I am also trying to research how people who photograph large events for a living manage their images. (Perhaps they simply shoot and release their JPGs?)

I would be so grateful for any insight you might have to offer on this process.

With thanks,

msn

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

You know, and I know, that the photos you've posted there are complete tripe compared to how good they can be.

But that's not really the point, is it?  In the context of your question, all that matters is that regular people don't know any better.  They will love them.

• Like 1