JPEG file, What size are they normally? Help!

I have a client asking for bigger JPEG. I sent him the files on an USB, and he's saying the file size should be 20mb, not 2mb. The files I sent are 2mb or less. They are sized as per what I learned from Damien, crop at ratio 11x15 W/H, and I've never had a problem printing them. I've printed them as big as 40x30 and they look beautiful. (Thanks to Damien and his classes). And I doing something wrong when saving them to USB? I've never heard of JPEGS being so big when compressed. Please help! I attached one of the images.

STP_3068.jpg

Yeah, no, jpegs should never be 20MB.

I wasn't at all surprised to see you say "him" in this post.  It must be a penis-related thing, it so often seems to be men who demand outrageously big files.  He is an idiot, of course.  The problem is that people like this think they know something about digital imaging, but of course they don't.

On average, what are the pixel dimensions of the files you sent him?  And what quality level did you save them at?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG Damien, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you. I never got notification of your reply. 

Yes he was a Jerk, and thought he knew it all. IN the end he was talking about Tiff files and had no clue what he was talking about. He never bothered me again. LOL 
He was an Attorney, trying to be a Photographer.

Thank you for your reply.

• Thanks 1

Damien I have a question hope its ok to ask on this thread. If i was to crop a clients photo to the 11x15 ratio and then save as jpeg quality 10 and the file is 2mb is this fine? I was concerned because some photographers files are 7mb so I was worried I'm not giving the best quality. Sorry if this is stupid but I'm just a bit confused.

5 minutes ago, Falon said:

Damien I have a question hope its ok to ask on this thread. If i was to crop a clients photo to the 11x15 ratio and then save as jpeg quality 10 and the file is 2mb is this fine?

That sounds quite normal, yes.  But they can vary wildly, of course.  Have you read this?

6 minutes ago, Falon said:

I was concerned because some photographers files are 7mb so I was worried I'm not giving the best quality.

It's very likely those dullards aren't doing their noise removal properly.

• Like 1