Bridge/PS CC 2017 SO Sloooooooow....

Is Brian still around?  I need him. :)  

So I finally got around to upgrading my PS CC to 2017 and it's KILLING ME it's so slow.  I'm seeing a ton of people having similar issues on a Google Search but no fixes.  What am I missing? 

I'm running Sierra on a Macbook pro...16GB RAM.  I had no issues with PS CC 2015.

Let me know any other info I can provide.  Currently saving a .psd and it's stuck at 87% for the last 20 minutes. :(

I have a Mac laptop running Sierra and Photoshop cc 2017. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 29GB free out of 240GB. The last time I shut down was just before posting this thread. I run a cleanup program about once a month.

8 hours ago, cocococo said:

Its hard drive has 29GB free out of 240GB.

THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM!!

Damien is correct. Start moving things over to a EHD. You need an additional 50GB freed up. There is no room for the PS Scratch Disk and your laptop has to work harder during editing/culling. I really don't recommend a HD being more than 80% full, and 75% is a good target to keep as it gives you a little wiggle-room between 75% and 80%. So at 240GB, try not to go below 80GB free, and you'd want to be at 100GB free at all times for better performance.

Okay...cleaned up some crap that I didn't even realize was on there (stupid iTunes...)  I'm at 95.92 GB available of 238.83...still having massive issues.  It takes over 47 seconds just to start up PS, and I'm still getting hung up when I try to save it.  This last time I got to 27% and gave up after 20 minutes. :(

Are there known issues, or is this possibly a hardware issue?  I was literally whizzing right along in my own little world yesterday before doing the update...and now I have all these issues.  Anything else I can check?

You should still have PS CC 2015 installed. Adobe typically doesn't overwrite new versions and leaves the old version alone. (Which also takes up space.) Open PS CC 2015 and see if the speed comes back. It's possible that the PS CC 2017 download was somewhat corrupted or it's buggy / doesn't like your laptop. 

The other thing that comes to mind is in PS Memory Settings. Set the Graphics Processor usage to "Basic" and restart PS. 

I think Apple stopped signing off on El Capitan. You can downgrade from High Sierra to Sierra, but not Sierra to El Capitan. Those instructions are from Sept. 2016 and Apple is notorious with cutting things off about a month after their current OS is released. Basically, they give the early adopters a chance to downgrade if they need to. For the rest of us who wait a month or two to upgrade, we are S-O-L.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with your OS. Using PS CC 2015.5 should be much less of a hassle. Things could go downhill really quick.

Oh, one more thing. How much CRAP (Files & Folders, etc.) is on your Mac Desktop? The reason is the more junk you have cluttering your Mac Desktop, the slower the thing runs. The reason is Macs treat things on the Desktop as open files, for lack of a better term. So if you have 1000 raw files and .psd files for the Smith-Jones Wedding, and 300 files from the Miller's Photo Session at the park, that's over 1300 "Open Windows." The quickest way to speed up your Mac, regardless if it's a Laptop or Desktop, is to clear off the desktop. This is what my Mac looks like when I stop being lazy. Often it's filled with crap, but then again, I don't complain when it's slow because it's due to a cluttered Mac Desktop. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.706dfd21429408e2e08c32ef24e322f3.jpeg

Thanks.  I've reverted to CC 2015 (should I do 2015.5 instead?) and am still having issues.  Copying files in Bridge from my SD card to the folder on my EHD, I get this error.  

Opening a file in PS and trying to save it and it's still getting hung up at around 20%.  I'm ready to scream.

My laptop is from 2011.  What are the odds it's a hardware issue?  Is there a way I can check that? I'm still thinking it's an OS thing though as I didn't have ANY issues until I did these updates.  I started off late last week trying to download a trial of Final Cut Pro, which forced me to update the OS to Sierra.  Then prompted the update from Adobe to CC2017.  

I'm so ticked.  We leave on Friday for a trip to Canada for a month so I needed to get some stuff done so I didn't have to take my EHD with me!  

Oh and my desktop is now clear.  Somewhere in all of this rebooting and locking up, I've lost everything ON my desktop.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 8.59.06 PM.png

Gosh...I'm really feeling like this is a hardware issue.  Do you think my RAM might be dying?  I have 8GB in two slots = 16GB but this feels like it did when I upgraded from 8 to 16GB.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 9.41.33 PM.png

I'm thinking the OS upgrade isn't playing nice with your 2011 laptop. The problem is, you might have to nuke the HD and reinstall everything in order to get your speed back. This is a tough one, if you have a Genius Bar nearby, schedule an appointment. Oh, if the RAM you installed is from a 3rd party, Apple will blame everything on that RAM stick, so you might want to remove it before heading to Apple. 

That said, it's a laptop from 2011. Laptops, even fancy ones from Apple, die after 3-4 years on the average. I also suspect, though this is my opinion, is that OS Updates / iOS updates slow down older models to drive you crazy on purpose. I've had iPhones get upgraded, only to become slow as molasses after doing so. Funny how the iPhone worked just fine before the update. 

Bottom Line: A new laptop might be in your future. :/

Hey Brian:

I'm finally getting a chance to dive into this after a month on holidays in Canada...

I decided to wipe everything and reload my original OS (10.6.6).  I've purchased the Mountain Lion OS update, but it doesn't appear I can get to Mavericks on my own.  Do you know if that's the case?  Will I be destined to stay on Mountain Lion or forced to go back to Sierra (which I won't do based on my issues.)

Also, do you know if I can run Photoshop CC from Snow Leopard?  I tried to download it with no luck.  Waiting to hear back from Adobe on that. :(

Crossing my fingers I can at least inch along until I can buy a new computer.  

3 hours ago, cocococo said:

I can get to Mavericks on my own.  Do you know if that's the case?

Apple has taken Mavericks behind the barn and shot it dead. They stopped signing off on it. Sierra is the only thing in your future.

PS CC needs at least 10.6.8 to run the basic PS CC, not the newer PS CC 2015.5 or current versions like that.

Since you nuked your computer, and it's a fresh install, how about updating to Sierra? Seriously. Since you are just starting things over, it won't be as painful to reformat the HD and redo everything if you have to. I'd be interested in seeing how things go. Macs (and iPhones / iPads) don't always upgrade nicely, sometimes it takes you doing a fresh install to get things working.

Also, do you have CleanMyMac from MacPaw? If not, I'd highly recommend getting the latest version and running it. There is a ton of crap that the Mac OS installs on default.