iphone photo recovery

Hello!  this is completely in the wrong section, but if anyone can help me Brian can!  I got a new iphone and used it for a few days before I followed the instructions for restoring my old phone on  my new phone.  Is there any way i can recover the lost photos/videos from before the restore?  I hooked it up to itunes and let it run before I did the restore, so it should be backed up on itunes somewhere.  I thought I had icloud turned on too, but can't seem to access it :(  Thanks!!!.

Also, is there any way to view whats in these files?  AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I'm on a PC--windows 7

22 minutes ago, MamaMonkey said:

Is there any way i can recover the lost photos/videos from before the restore?  I hooked it up to itunes and let it run before I did the restore, so it should be backed up on itunes somewhere.  I thought I had icloud turned on too, but can't seem to access it :(  Thanks!!!.

Also, is there any way to view whats in these files?  AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I'm on a PC--windows 7

Short answer: Probably not. Those files that you took before the restore are probably gone forever. Unless you had your phone synced with the iCloud. For that, you would have had to key in the login / password info when you first got your phone, AND had enough room on Apple's Servers AND had the photos set to automatically backup to the iCloud.

Many people never purchase the extra capacity, so they are stuck at the 5GB free account level, and new photos never get backed up because the free iCloud account is full.

There are programs that view the images in the MobileSync Folder, so there MIGHT be a razor thin chance you can get stuff back, but I'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure you won't be able to. :( That said, you might want to try this program. It seems that they have a free version, but in my experience, if you want to have the full features, or the ability to recover data, you have to pony up the $$$ and purchase it. 

Thanks Brian! I downloaded the software you recommended and while it was able to show me a lot, nothing on my new phone before restore was on there.  All videos are marked with an X too.  Bummer.  Lesson learned!!!  I know I had iCloud synced with my old phone and thought it was on my new phone, but I was wrong there too.  

8 hours ago, Brian said:

Short answer: Probably not. Those files that you took before the restore are probably gone forever. Unless you had your phone synced with the iCloud. For that, you would have had to key in the login / password info when you first got your phone, AND had enough room on Apple's Servers AND had the photos set to automatically backup to the iCloud.

Many people never purchase the extra capacity, so they are stuck at the 5GB free account level, and new photos never get backed up because the free iCloud account is full.

There are programs that view the images in the MobileSync Folder, so there MIGHT be a razor thin chance you can get stuff back, but I'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure you won't be able to. :( That said, you might want to try this program. It seems that they have a free version, but in my experience, if you want to have the full features, or the ability to recover data, you have to pony up the $$$ and purchase it. 

Hey Brian, one last thing...how come the new apps I installed on my phone before the restore were not deleted after the restore?  They are still on my new phone.  They were not on my old phone.  Thanks again for your help!

I think that's just a default iPhone thing. The restore puts back your data and old Apps on your new phone. 

Now I'm sure you are asking why it didn't leave your new photos alone?

"Just because..." 

Recovering photos on a iPhone is almost impossible. Apple has created a work-around with a "Recently Deleted" Album as a way to cut support calls down from panicked customers. 

So check your "Albums" in your Photos App. Look for recently deleted. It's a long shot. 

28 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think that's just a default iPhone thing. The restore puts back your data and old Apps on your new phone. 

Now I'm sure you are asking why it didn't leave your new photos alone?

"Just because..." 

But that's just it...It's a NEW app that stayed on my phone.  In the restore it didn't get deleted/copied over like everything else did.

It's also not a default apple app either.  It's a completely new app that I had decided to download and try out before I restored the new phone.  That's why I find it odd that I can't find my photos, but it didn't delete a new app I had installed on my new phone before the restore. 

Edited by MamaMonkey

I think Apps are treated differently than data. It's like they are in a different folder in the iOS. I've seen this happen before and it seems to be normal. Believe it or not, you can also have apps installed on a Apple Device that were purchased by another account. We won't go there though, that is one slippery slope.

What I've done in the past is not touch any new iPhone until it is restored. This way you don't put yourself in the position that you are in.