brightness issue

Melissalile

Hi Damien!  I have an odd question.  I have 2 external monitors, one at work and one at home.  no matter where I'm editing, there are times that I click on that external monitor to activate Photoshop after I've been on facebook or other program, and the photo I'm working on either dims or brightens.  It happens on both monitors.  Any idea why this happens?  I can't predict when it will happen.

The screens are Dell.  Recommended by you.  I can't figure out the model.  all my paperwork is at the studio.  

I really need to go back over the classes and participate more! I'm so swamped right now, but need to make time!!

Wait!  This is it.  

Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch

Great. Can you check to make sure the screens aren't on their "Dynamic" colour setting. They most likely should be on "Standard".

It's not quite clear from your original question - does this problem happen all the time? Or only occasionally? And has it happened since forever, or can you remember there was a time when it didn't happen?

33 minutes ago, Melissalile said:

The monitor at home is on Standard.  I can check the one at work tomorrow.

The "Dynamic" thing is the only reason I can think of that might be attributable to the screens themselves.  If they're both on "Standard" then I'd say it's a Mac issue.

33 minutes ago, Melissalile said:

It happens occasionally.  And, I would say it's been within the last 2 months.

Did anything change two months ago that you can recall?  New Mac, new calibrator, new OS?

Hmm...

I'd first head to System Preferences >> Click Displays >> Uncheck / Turn Off "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes." 

Let us know if that helps or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Melissalile said:

Quick question, what is "enable ADC"?

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.01.47 AM (2).png

Auto colour correction.  Don't use it.

5 minutes ago, Melissalile said:

I'm planning on doing the laptop without having the external connected.  Not sure if it matters or not.

Shouldn't matter.