External Monitor Question

I was thinking about buying an external monitor to use with my laptop (when I calibrate it, the blacks turn into dark blobs and I've tried everything to fix it). This might be a very stupid question, but is it possible that whatever is causing that problem would affect the external monitor as well? Or should it be safe to go ahead with getting it? I would rather save the money and put it toward a new laptop if it's not going to work, but the laptop I have is pretty new and runs great otherwise. Any thoughts? And tips for newer monitors for editing would also be appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, Bucketz1586 said:

This might be a very stupid question, but is it possible that whatever is causing that problem would affect the external monitor as well?

Not a stupid question at all.  Very wise to ask it, in fact.

You should definitely check this before investing.  Do you have ANY old desktop monitors in your house that you can plug in and try?

Or, a TV with HDMI or DVI inputs that you can plug in as a temporary external monitor and calibrate?

Or failing all that, a nearby friend or relative who would let you come over and try plugging in their desktop monitor and calibrating it?