Jump to content

File Size for a banner??


Recommended Posts

Hello!

How should I save a file if my clients are going to create a banner for it?  I’m not sure what size, they said maybe 6-7 feet, and they think it might be on vinyl. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

 

Edited by Marie21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Great.  In that case, you don't need to do anything.  Just provide the photo at the exact size your camera captured it.  No cropping, no resizing.

Have you finished editing the photo?

Oh wow.. yes I have. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

That's about nineteen and a half megapixels.  Is that correct for your camera?

Straight out of my camera it is 5760px x 3840px   72 resolution

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

That's about nineteen and a half megapixels.  Is that correct for your camera?

I am not sure thats what is correct for my camera.. :/but that is the image straight out of camera. Then I resized it with all the rest to 18x20in 300 resolution- 5400x3600.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Marie21 said:

but that is the image straight out of camera. Then I resized it with all the rest to 18x20in 300 resolution- 5400x3600.

Oh shit! Oh shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!

You must NEVER do this.  NEVER resize or crop in ANY way before or during (or after) editing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

What happened to the other pixels????

I have a Cannon 5dMarkiii

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Oh shit! Oh shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!

You must NEVER do this.  NEVER resize or crop in ANY way before or during (or after) editing.

AHHH

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Oh shit! Oh shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!

You must NEVER do this.  NEVER resize or crop in ANY way before or during (or after) editing.

What should I do? I always heard that your supposed to edit, then resize to around 8x10 or 16x20 and always change it to 300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Oh God no.  You must NEVER do that.  Never sacrifice a single precious pixel that your camera captured.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/09/cropping-tutorial.html

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/02/trash-those-jpegs.html

omgosh..Not even change it to 300 resolution? But what if they want to print it and I only give them digitals..

4 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Oh God no.  You must NEVER do that.  Never sacrifice a single precious pixel that your camera captured.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/09/cropping-tutorial.html

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/02/trash-those-jpegs.html

reading now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, ok, so let me make sure I know where I blew it. This is my workflow:  I do the shoot in Raw format, upload it to my laptop, put it through Lightroom with a preset, upload them in Photoshop and then resize them to usually 16x20, 300 res. I don’t crop them, but I want clients to be able to print them out to at least a 16x20, and also use them online. So, I blew it by resizing them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Marie21 said:

omgosh..Not even change it to 300 resolution? But what if they want to print it and I only give them digitals..

The PPI is completely irrelevant for digitals.  Completely. The only time it matters is if it's a commercial job, and you are providing the files to a graphic designer.  For regular people, it matters not a damn.

1 minute ago, Marie21 said:

Ok, ok, so let me make sure I know where I blew it. This is my workflow:  I do the shoot in Raw format, upload it to my laptop, put it through Lightroom with a preset, upload them in Photoshop and then resize them to usually 16x20, 300 res. I don’t crop them, but I want clients to be able to print them out to at least a 16x20, and also use them online. So, I blew it by resizing them?

Correct.  Never resize.

However, you MUST crop before handing off the digital files.  The 11:15 shape is vital.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/02/selling-digital-images.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

However, you MUST crop before handing off the digital files.  The 11:15 shape is vital.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/02/selling-digital-images.html

Again, this does not apply when the file is going to a graphic designer.  DO NOT CROP OR RESIZE in any way if the file is going to a graphic designer.

Which this one probably is.

Confused yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

The PPI is completely irrelevant for digitals.  Completely. The only time it matters is if it's a commercial job, and you are providing the files to a graphic designer.  For regular people, it matters not a damn.

So just send it 5760px x 3840px  no resolution?  Lol Im sorry, Now Im not sure what to do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For ALL photos:  Never crop or resize during editing.  (Or sharpen - you must NEVER sharpening during your editing workflow, ever.)

Then, for MOST photos (which are going to members of the public): Crop to 11:15 shape with no resolution when saving the digital files.

But, for a FEW photos (which are likely to be used by a graphic designer, like this one is) make the resolution 300ppi, but don't crop or resize in any way.

(To change the PPI without resizing, use the Image Size function, and make sure the "Resample Image" checkbox is not checked.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW. EYE OPENING!! THANK YOU!!!!

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

For ALL photos:  Never crop or resize during editing.  (Or sharpen - you must NEVER sharpening during your editing workflow, ever.)

Then, for MOST photos (which are going to members of the public): Crop to 11:15 shape with no resolution when saving the digital files.

But, for a FEW photos (which are likely to be used by a graphic designer, like this one is) make the resolution 300ppi, but don't crop or resize in any way.

(To change the PPI without resizing, use the Image Size function, and make sure the "Resample Image" checkbox is not checked.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This practice is based on the assumption that Graphic Designers, unlike regular members of the public, know how to handle photos for themselves.  They can accurately crop and resize them for their exact needs.  As it happens, this is largely a false assumption - most graphic designers are complete incompetent nincompoops; however there's a fundamental professional courtesy that requires us to pretend they are competent.

Members of the public are, of course, also incompetent nincompoops in matters of digital photo files, but they generally don't pretend to be anything else, and certainly don't try to run graphic design businesses in spite of their incompetence.  So no professional courtesy is required - we can wisely provide files that provide the most safety for their needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...