File Size for a banner??

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

This practice is based on the assumption that Graphic Designers, unlike regular members of the public, know how to handle photos for themselves.  They can accurately crop and resize them for their exact needs.  As it happens, this is largely a false assumption - most graphic designers are complete incompetent nincompoops; however there's a fundamental professional courtesy that requires us to pretend they are competent.

Members of the public are, of course, also incompetent nincompoops in matters of digital photo files, but they generally don't pretend to be anything else, and certainly don't try to run graphic design businesses in spite of their incompetence.  So no professional courtesy is required - we can wisely provide files that provide the most safety for their needs.

HAHA! 

17 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

So, we're coming to the crux of the matter - do you, or do you not, need to re-edit this photo?

For that, I'll need to see it.  Please show me the photo, and even more importantly, show me a 100% crop of the most in-focus part of it.

Ok!

17 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

So, we're coming to the crux of the matter - do you, or do you not, need to re-edit this photo?

For that, I'll need to see it.  Please show me the photo, and even more importantly, show me a 100% crop of the most in-focus part of it.

5Q3A7660.jpg

100.jpg

Nope :(:(:(:(:(:(

:( This really does keep getting worse and worse...

9 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

No, that's a jpeg file.

Didn't you shoot raw?  This just gets worse and worse.

I blew it..

Well, this makes one decision easy, at least.  All the starting over in the world won't make this a better photo if you don't have a raw file to start over with.

You'll need to honestly apologise to the client and tell them the photo isn't of sufficient quality for a banner :(

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Well, this makes one decision easy, at least.  All the starting over in the world won't make this a better photo if you don't have a raw file to start over with.

You'll need to honestly apologise to the client and tell them the photo isn't of sufficient quality for a banner :(

Ok. That super sucks. But I really thank you for trying, and for showing me the right way to do this. Thank you.

By the way, never shoot raw+jpeg.  There are no upsides, only downsides.  Raw only.

I was taught this by a few other photographers. Lesson learned. The hard way.