Monitor resolution higher than laptop - does it make a difference?

Hi Damien

I have read your monitor selection article as I am looking at a sharper monitor for photography editing. I am reviewing the latest Dell Ultra Sharps and have a couple of questions http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor

1. I am currently using Dell 2414H and it is not ultra sharp - they are 1920 resolution but do not appear as sharp and colourful as my HP Spectre 360 laptop screen, so I have eye strain editing on the 13 inch screen

Will this be better if I buy a Ultra Sharp as they have deal on at the moment.

Questions about resolution.

1. My laptop is max resolution 1920 and the monitor is 2580 - will that distort my images? i.e do I need to extend my screen or mirror my screen?

2. I was looking at the ultra wide 29, so I can view more images on the screen when selecting in Bridge.  Will that distort my images when viewing, editing having a wide screen?

Many thanks as always, you are  my hero, your tips on levels have made my images totally pop!  Thank you! Rochelle

Phew!  *wipes brow*

You need to look up the specs of your laptop's graphics card, to see what is the highest resolution monitor it can support.  I've no particular reason to think it would have any problems, but it sure would be a nasty shock to buy a new super-duper-high resolution screen then find out your lappy couldn't handle it.

Unfortunately (to preempt your next question) I don't know how you'd find that out.  Google, I guess.

Just now, RochU said:

My techo friend at JB said that if I buy the BenQ SW2700PT monitor it is 2560 resolution and my laptop is only 1920 I would be wasting my money.

No, we can't necessarily assume that.  If your laptop's graphics card is good enough, it'll support higher resolutions than the native monitor, I think.

But yeah, check.

15 minutes ago, RochU said:

1. I am currently using Dell 2414H and it is not ultra sharp - they are 1920 resolution but do not appear as sharp and colourful as my HP Spectre 360 laptop screen, so I have eye strain editing on the 13 inch screen

This (the bolded part) is a BIG problem.  Coupled with this ...

othernone.png.b09409df2c5f624be359d358b8a58aff.png

... I am SO damn worried right now.

A colourful screen is not necessarily a good thing.  In fact, a lot of times it's a very bad thing.

Have you compared your two screens to pro lab prints?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that would be negative, Houston!  Maybe I should do that.....that would be a really good idea..... I know I know .. I can see "angry face: emjoi of Damien right now.... Damien 101, I know I know....