Question related to next spending on photography equipment

rahullele

On 12/18/2017 at 8:58 PM, Brian said:

As for which lens to be on-par with the 70-200E? I'd say the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8E. It pains me to say that due to the higher cost, but it's an honest answer. 

Thanks a lot Brian. not that i was aiming for it but i tried to take picture with nearby same settings with new 70-200 @70 mm and tamron 24-70 @70mm. ISO 500 f/4 (which is still not giving complete face in focus .. Damien is breaking plates on my name .. how come this guy is not getting part this is out of focus picture. I think i need to get to f/8 ) 1/160th both Raw processed, yet to go through photoshop.  I think Tamron is giving me more than what i expected (I got refurbished at $700 year ago). For sure when i'll earn some money, i'll spend it on Nikon 24-70E. But till that i think Tamron will do for me :) . Although i could use input on how to sell my 50mm. I'm selling that one for sure.  

DSC_6591_SOOR_daylight2.jpg

DSC_6575_SOOR1.jpg

On 12/18/2017 at 9:04 PM, Brian said:

Guess who is seriously thinking about dropping $6500 on a D5? This guy. Now I just have to find a way to pay for it. 

Nikon Aquisition Syndrome. It NEVER ENDS.

Oh my god. :) This is expensive addiction. Good luck with either ways ... 

For someone who never put hands on top end body, .... Out of curiosity question. How much is the ISO performance of these cameras .. (frame rate is not needed for me but i struggle with light.) 

There were rave reviews about D750 for low light performance. People keep telling me that .. don't worry about ISO.. you got D750 .. it'll easily go till 6400 without hiccups and i find myself putting luminance noise correction setting at around 85 for ISO 500 setting. Its still good picture but honestly i expected more. (either i got defective piece or thats what performance is . .. for good camera. It was refurbished purchase BTW.) 

if i decide to sell my D750 .. and go for old used top end model (D4 is listed at $1900 ) would i get better ISO performance that D750 ? 

I wouldn't get a D4. I've had several friends who have had focus issues and others have love affairs. If you do go that route, at least go for a D4s. I will warn you, once you shoot with a Pro-Body, the consumer models feel like toys if you go back. The high ISO on the D850 is insaine. It's better than the D5, but of course it's newer technology. When the D5s hits the shelves, I'm sure it will get "The Lord of Darkness" title back. 

What is most interesting about the D850 and D5, is not the high ISO, but the ability to focus in dark situations and nail focus. Both the D850 and D5 share the same focusing system, but the D5 has better cpu performance, so it locks on quicker than a D850, but the D850 is no slouch either. You just know you're shooting a D5. 

Yes, high ISO performance with either body will be better than a D750, especially a D850, though some might argue with me. Oh, the D850 really isn't an upgrade of a D810, it's really a whole new body. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think you have a focus problem, but more of a Depth of Field problem. I try f/5.6 or f/8 and even try to get back a bit further. Also try using AF-S and manually set the focus point, on the eye closest to you. 

• Thanks 1

After moving to 6.3 + and after a bit of practice .. i think i got it. However that brings another problem. The reason i was trying to go wide open is because (nearly always) shoot in less light. Given light condition, i've to bump my ISO way more than i like. 

As of now. I'm arranging timings and checking for daylight and cancelling based on weather and all (Its free shoot of friends so they don't complain.) but .. i'd like to sort it out if it can fit in budget. 

If i've to go indoor and go for budget lighting system (preferable easy to carry .. if i attend function in low light and want to carry it there or something ?) what should i search? is there a starting point you can suggest ? 

@Brian Any input on this ? as of now, i'm planning trial session with another photographer to get multiple flashes together .. but i'm very skeptical that it'll help us in getting better exposure at low light. I think Flash can be used to improve on point exposure but it'll not be substitute for light. 

Any inputs on direction ? what to google ? 

Before you go buying stuff, WHAT are you photographing? Event? Wedding? Portraits? Adults? Kids? Refresh my memory. Also, what look are you trying to accomplish? 

First 3, Fundraising events for charity where taking pictures of people attending .. Key speaker and public figures etc. yet to do wedding but indian weddings tend to be on similar lines. And yes. Portraits .. Mostly people are available after working hours .. late ... so its going to be in artificial light in room with plain background.

I'm looking for easy portable light system which will allow me to shoot at around ISO 800 with f/6.3 + at minimum 1/110th of sec. Don't know if at all its possible hence checking with you. 

Should i search for multiple flash units or Strobe or some magic solution which will give me acceptable exposure on above settings ?

When you use flash, it's a completely different exposure triangle, well...more like the opposite side of the same coin. Your camera's meter is completely worthless when it comes to flash, so the "1/110th of a second" really isn't an issue. Aperture relates to flash power, Shutter Speed & ISO relates to the Ambient light. Normally, I'm at 1/80th of a second and f/5.6 @ ISO 800-ish when I shoot wedding receptions. I also use f/4 a lot. The reason is the main photographer that I shoot with doesn't like complete black backgrounds, she wants to capture some of the venue in addition to subjects. Sometimes I go as low as 1/60th and crank up the ISO to 3200 if needed. Heck, I've gone to ISO 8000+!! LOL!! You can't change the laws of physics and what interests me is you have a friggin' D750, you have better ISO performance than my D3s since it's newer technology!

I'm sure you are saying, "...but I need to keep my shutter speed up to reduce camera shake..." That's where flash duration comes into play. The quick pop of the flash freezes your subject. So you don't have to worry about your shutter speed as much as you would with natural light. Honestly, if you are going into Wedding/Event Photography, which is what I call "Running & Gunning Photography," do yourself a huge favor and get a proper flash and learn how to use it. I highly recommend a SB-910 or the newer model, the SB-5000. Yes, I know their expensive, but there are times that you need TTL metering and dorking around with your flash trying to figure out where to put your settings (nose buried in the back of the camera) will cause you to miss shots. I've tried going the cheap route and then finally bought a SB-910, and the quality of light was so much better. In addition, I'm really liking my Rogue Flashbender kit. I also have what I call a "My Flash Rig" which helps keeping the "Flashy" look to a minimum, AND if I want to flip vertically, the flash stays up top. Though I think I did get a defective bracket, as the bearings allow the flash to move way too easily when I don't want it to, and it's a bit small.

Now the tough part, there is no easy answer. I've been chasing lights and gear and modifiers for years. It NEVER ends. You don't have to get all fancy. A 60" umbrella, a reflector, and a single flash...you can build a business from. What is the difference is how refined you want your look to be. I did find this video from Zack Arias very useful. Please give it a watch.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2017 at 10:02 PM, Brian said:

Nikon 105 f/2.8G VR Macro. If you are into detail shots or Macro Photography, the 105 VR Macro lens is THE one to get.

@Brian Someone touch based with me (They bought few prints from me.) and wanted me to take picture of flowers and how we'd put it as macro work. 

I ended up in local shop to second hand version of 105 macro. Old honest salesman told me today was my lucky day and handed me AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED in good condition. Price was reasonable, slightly higher than online version but i support local. 

Given that i will always need higher aperture for macro work (so f/4 should not be problem)  and given it'd be offering me higher (and hence better) working distance than 105 mm, i ended up buying it. 

Just wanted to check if this was mistake .. Yet to take test shot. Appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Also i've 2 year old in house and i found this. 

Should i return lens? 

Or its safe but just to keep it away from my little one ? The closest she come to my gear is to dragging my photography equipment, picking up lens till we notice that and snatch it back from her. 

Or its not that much issue? . Something to keep in mind but not deal breaker. 

Edited by rahullele
removed double copy.