Time for a new desktop

SueR

I've been MIA since I joined and ready to jump into things but since updating my late 2012 IMAC to recent IOS my desktop has been a hot mess.  Spinning wheel, doesn't want to shut down, etc... so for my sanity I'm going to get a new one (this old one can have a purpose in our craft room so it's not a total loss).  Here's what I have in my shopping cart.  I'd appreciate any input on this since I'd like to keep it for at least 5 years.  My main purpose is editing photos in PS/LR.  I'll upgrade my memory to 32 GB with crucial. 

Thanks in advance for your input.

• Item Price:$2,599.00
  • Quantity (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) 
  •  
Part number: Z0TR
  • Order today, delivers: Feb 21 - Feb 23 - Free
    Pickup: Ships to Apple University Park Mall
Hardware
  • 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 3TB Fusion Drive
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
  • Magic Mouse 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
  • Accessory Kit

I would bump up the RAM to 16GB. Apple should install two 8GB sticks. Otherwise, you will have two 4GB sticks from Apple. When you go to 32GB if RAM, and you have 4GB sticks, you will need to remove the existing RAM and replace them with 8GB sticks. (There are four slots total.) 

Brian - my husband reminded me that the memory will be 64 GB not 32 so we'll have to replace all 4 of the sticks with new memory anyways and that is why we get 8 GB.  I think the apple memory is way too expensive.  

• Like 1

Oh, Apple RAM is insanely overpriced.  In order to get to 64GB, start with the $1999 iMac and configure things from there. The $1799 version only goes up to 32GB, though I'm sure you are aware of this.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:30 PM, Brian said:

That's what I would buy and do. Though 64GB these days might be a bit overkill. 32GB is fine but if you want to max it out all at once, go for it.

So you think to edit photos and video 32GB is all that is needed?  If I upgrade to only 32GB and the want to upgrade to 64 at a later date I have to buy all 4 new memory stick, correct?  My computer comes on Wednesday so I can finally get back into editing once I get it all set up.

Unless you are doing video, or 3D Rendering, for today's computing 16GB is "Fine" and 32GB is "Preferred." Heck, even getting a 16GB kit to take you to 24GB will work quite well.

Of course, if you are doing 100 photo Panoramas, then by all means get 64GB. If you are using a Nikon D850 or the Canon 5DS R and want to edit bunches of photos at once, like batching wedding images taken with those cameras, then get 64GB. Personally, since you are interested in getting 64GB, I would purchase a single 32GB Kit from Crucial (Two 16GB Sticks) and take your computer to 40GB. I would install the Crucial RAM in the slots taken up by the existing Apple RAM, and move those existing chips to the empty slots. This way, you are already halfway to 32GB, and you get to keep the existing Apple RAM to get you to 40GB. Then decide if you want to go to 64GB by purchasing another 32GB kit.

Personally, I will be taking my new iMac, purchased in Jan 2019, to 40GB at first. Forking out an additional $600-$700 on top of the already-expensive iMac, to get it to 64GB, is a tough pill to swallow. Plus, RAM prices fluctuate throughout the year. The month May seems to be the time that I often see rebates / sales / discounts on RAM, but this is my from own personal experience and could be completely different this year.