PC to Mac

Mary Burgy

Well, I would have liked you to run the Crucial Scanner Tool to see what memory you currently have installed. You want to get matching sticks and all those little numbers listed on the memory mean something. 

These days you really want 16GB or more, regardless if it’s a Windows computer or Mac. 

It might be splitting hairs. Often if it’s similar specs, and one set of memory is slightly slower, the faster chips will slow down to match. 

Head to Crucial.com. Scanner is in their front page. You are looking to purchase a 32GB Kit, or at the very least, a 16GB kit. 

Or try what you ordered. Up to you.

Oh, plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the installation, it’s failrly straightforward. 

It didn't allow me to run it due to unknown developer.

I think I ordered the right kind... two 16 GB ones.  Are you saying it may work better if I remove the two current 4 GB ones that came with?

I read to put the two new ones in the spots currently being used and put the smaller ones in the other spots.

It's hard to tell if you don't have special diag software to see the performance values. Honestly, since you are new to a Mac, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm just curious about saving your RAW files and such and the time that it takes after you upgrade the RAM. I've only used a Mac with my DSLR cameras since 2010, I don't know how "fast" it would be if I was on a PC. Of course, that depends on the hardware, what hard drives (and type) that I'm using, the speed of the motherboard itself, speed of RAM and CPU, etc. etc. 

Whether it's a Windows Computer or Mac, you really want 16GB for today's computers with current operating systems. 8GB is the new bare-minimum and you really want more. Just like it was 512K / 640K RAM, then 1MB...followed by 2MB, 4MB RAM, then 1GB, 2GB, 4GB...8, then 16, then 32, etc. History repeats itself. Today's 16GB is yesterday's 8GB.

• Like 1