PC to Mac

Mary Burgy

My PC isn't working anymore and I just bought a Mac.  However, I don't want to open it yet until I know how to handle the hard drive issue.  I have tons of files on hard drives for PCs and I hear they aren't compatible.  How do you handle this?  I heard you get new hard drives and transfer files to Mac compatible ones, but what if the Mac won't read the hard drive to allow you to open the files and transfer them?

Are you saying "oh no" to Macs?  If so, please chime in now.  I haven't opened the box yet and don't want to make the wrong decision.

I can still return it..... I was thinking I was taking a step in the right direction.

Damien is Anti-Mac. ;)

OK, Apple has made it really easy to convert over to a Mac. By default, the MacOS will read your Windows Files just fine, and convert them over to the Mac File System. You could even network the two computers via a work group and copy and paste the files, but that gets a little tricky unless you are an advanced user. The easy way? Just use an external HD with the Windows based files and copy them over to your Mac. Easy-Peasy.

The problem is, in order to go from a Mac to a Windows computer, you need to do extra-stuff, like using special conversion software in order to have the MacOS write files to a Windows-based PC. Yes, there is a way to make the MacOS turn on the ability to be able to write to a Windows computer, but it's turned off for a reason, mostly to protect you from yourself and corrupting data; plus it's really meant for you to stick with Apple and not go back. LOL!!

15 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

Do you have a list of short cut keys on here.  I am dying... I can't even do a printscreen....

Not trying to butt in... but since you don't have a response yet and I had the same question a while back myself re print screen:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Most of the other stuff is the same as PC except "Command" is what you use instead of "Control".  And "Option" instead of "Alt".  Not always the case, but that is at least how I remember most of it being (recently switching from Mac to PC myself --- for absolutely no reason other than Costco had a good PC deal --- I would have been more than happy with a Mac too... love both for different reasons).

15 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

I can't even do a printscreen....

Sure you can!! Believe it or not, it's even easier to do on a Mac.

Printscreen: Command + Shift + 3

"Snipping Tool" Equivalent: Command + Shift + 4, the mouse icon will turn into cross-hairs and then you click and drag the box on what you want to capture.

The screen captured files will automatically appear on the desktop. Speaking of the Mac Desktop, I know coming from Windows it's very tempting to have a bunch of recently used files / photo-sessions stored on the desktop...but the reality is the more crap you have stored on the Mac Desktop, the SLOWER it runs. The MacOS treats every file on the desktop as "Open Windows," even if you aren't doing anything with them. Got 1000 .psd files in the Smith-Jones Wedding folder? That's 1001 "Open Windows" (the files plus the folder) that kills performance.

Here is a list of Short Cut Keys from Apple.

More Shortcuts: https://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Even more shortcuts: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/25-time-saving-mac-keyboard-shortcuts-1307836

The Option Key is the Alt Key Equivalent on the Mac. You can make a Copyright Symbol by hitting Option + G, (i.e. © 2018) or the Reserve Symbol by hitting Option + R. To make a é or É, for the lower case hold the Option, then tap the letter e, then tap the letter e again and you can get a word like Résumé. To make that word all caps, It is a little more tricky doing a capital. Hit Option e, then let go of the Option Key. Then hit the shift key and then the letter. You will get a capital É, so you could capitalize RÉSUMÉ.

Here are some Option Key Shortcuts, as you can see, there are WAY MORE shortcuts on the Mac.

• Like 1

Yes. Add the "Control" key to the mix.

Shift + Command + Control + 4 will allow you to automatically save it to the Clipboard and skip saving the file to the desktop. Then just paste the screen shot in the comment box for Damien. For example, just like this:

image.png.8a21dd829cc0e8421bbd602577d43295.png

• Like 1

Right Click Paste doesn’t always work. All I did was create a snip if the PS tools via the command + shift + control + 4, drew a box around the tools and let go. You will hear a snap sound. 

Then type something in the comment box, press the Command Key (next to the space bar) and hit v. Then it should put the file in the upload section below the active comment box, the “Insert other Media” Section. Then click upload. 

Well I may have f’d up but please don’t throw salt in my wound.  I’m trying to improve this.  Brian - the files are saving extremely slow.  How do I know if a RAM upgrade will improve this.  I don’t want to just throw more money at what may already be a bad decision.  Please help!