White background

SWhit

Hi Damien.  So, I know you said be extremely careful when it came to making a backdrop white.  I thought I'd try it a bit.  Everything went ok until it was time to use the polygonal lasso tool.  I could not select the background.  Just to see if I wasn't missing something I tried the other two lasso tools (lasso and magnetic) and was able to select the background but when I got to Step 5 to click a spot near subject's hair it wasn't the background that turned white, it was the foreground -- the area that included the subject that turned white.  

My question is... 1) What am I doing incorrectly for the polygonal tool not to work and 2)  how do I get the background instead of the foreground to turn white?

Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong spot.  Thank you. 

You can't get mad at me.  At least not yet.  All these crazy mistakes I'm making is what's going to actually help me;  I'll never forget it once I've grasped it! 

Oh God!!!  I'll do better.  I promise!  I'm working hard, reading all of what you have to tell me and try it before I even ask anything...

Ok, I won't read or even try another thing until I finish the Raw class.  It's like that class is taking me a million years to finish.

Edited by SWhit