Aligning text

I'm currently designing some business cards in PSE18.  How do I align the text so that each line  is centred?  When I click on the move tool I can see the align option but it appears to be switched off. If I use the Text option I can see the "align right, centre" and left icons and although it moves the text, it's far from accurate!?

I know you didn't ask for this advice, but I urge you to not have those little corner lines quite so close to the edges.  If they get the printing or cutting alignment a little bit wrong, it will look really obvious that those are uneven.  I'd bring them in a bit.

Will write back about the text thing shortly.

There are several answers to this.  The first answer is the one I would have given if you'd asked me BEFORE you started:

When you choose the Type Tool, most people just click, then start typing.  But in this case, it's much better to click and drag a big text box.  Then when you start typing, your text will be inside that box, and you can align everything perfectly inside the box.

I urge you to start again and use this method.  It makes everything MUCH easier.

If you don't feel like starting again, then we need to work on aligning all the separate layers you already have.

To do that, you need to choose the Move Tool (V) then select all the text layers by clicking on one (in the layers panel) then Ctrl-clicking on all the rest, until they're all highlighted.

THEN you should find that the "Align" buttons at the bottom of your screen are highlighted, and you can use the "Middle" one.

Thank you - I'll start again and do it properly :)  The corner markers were only there for my own information to remind me about the 3mm bleed.  They are coming out before the finish.

• Like 1