Screen too magenta after re-calibration

Hi Damien,

I always follow your instructions for calibration and have so far had success getting my screen to match my prints pretty closely. I recalibrated the other day and noticed that my screen took on an overly magenta tone once I saved the profile. I fortunately didn't save over the previous calibration profile and switched back to that version in my system preferences. It is still pretty close to my prints using the previously saved color profile. I'm wondering if my X-Rite Color Munki display is the problem. I recently installed a new Mac OS update so I decided to recalibrate after that (just updating everything). My prints that I have don't match my screen at all now when I recalibrate (each time I get a Magenta result) and I'm just wondering if you think it sounds like it's time for a new calibrator (this one is about three years old), or if I'm doing something wrong. Since I got my new iMac at the end of 2016, I've been a bit confused about what to set for technology type, but when I recalibrated this time I left it as I had it the time before. Could this be the problem? It automatically selects GB-LED (RG-Phosphor) when I go to the Preferences section. Again, in the meantime I've gone back to the last time I calibrated where I got a good result a couple months ago. 

Thank you for any help you can give me on this!

Elizabeth

Edited by Elizabeth G

6 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Hmmm ... I would have thought it would be White LED. Is that one of your options?

That is an option. Is that the first thing you would recommend changing to see if it makes a difference?

But yes, it is possible that your calibrator is getting a bit old.  It's sad, but three years is a common lifespan for all sorts of electronic equipment nowadays, isn't it?

Are there any other computers in the house that you could try calibrating with it, to see if the same magenta problem occurs?  If so, we'd definitely point the finger at a failing calibrator.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

But yes, it is possible that your calibrator is getting a bit old.  It's sad, but three years is a common lifespan for all sorts of electronic equipment nowadays, isn't it?

Are there any other computers in the house that you could try calibrating with it, to see if the same magenta problem occurs?  If so, we'd definitely point the finger at a failing calibrator.

I do still have my Macbook Pro laptop. It's a bit slow running, but I could definitely try calibrating it. I don't use it for editing anymore so I didn't even think about trying that to see if the same thing happened there. I will try that if the White LED setting doesn't make a difference. Thank you for suggesting that as a test. And, yes, I hate the short lifespan of electronics, especially because I'm the type of person that keeps things for as long as possible. Haha! :)

49 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Me too :)

Hi Damien, I tried White LED and got the same magenta result. I turned on my laptop and installed the latest version from X-rite and when I plug in my calibrator to the USB port it doesn't recognize that the device is connected, therefore I see the "No Entry" option under preferences. I turned everything off and back on again on the laptop, started over with ColorMunki and it still doesn't recognize the calibrator. It's not the USB port that is defective because I plugged a thumb drive in to make sure it was recognized by the computer. I'm starting to think this is pointing to the calibrator dying because there shouldn't be a reason why it wouldn't work on both computers, right?

In the meantime, if I've gone back to the previous color profile (from the last time I calibrated) on my desktop and that is reasonably close to matching my prints, do you think it's safe to rely on that profile until I get a new calibrator? 

48 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Did you make sure the calibrator was plugged in before launching the software?

Yes, I did. I ended up restarting my laptop again and the second time it recognized the calibrator when I plugged it in. I recalibrated my laptop and it matches my prints perfectly. I tried again on the desktop and it still goes more magenta. :( It's making everyone's skin look extra pink. I tried choosing a setting other than Native and got the same results. I'm not sure what to do now with the desktop, other than to go into system preferences and select the color profile from the last time I calibrated with a good result. That's the only way I'm getting my screen to match the prints. 

Hmmm ... it won't be CCFL, but it's worth trying RGB LED.

Ok! I haven't tried that one yet. Thank you! I get confused with all of those options. 

Same.

Do you think I can at least trust the old profile for now if I have some images I need to turn around ASAP? The screen matches my prints when I select it, but at this point my eyes are starting to go numb if you know what I mean. 

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, use it for now, but it's not a long-term solution.

Right, definitely not. I am on a deadline for some magazine work, so I'm trying to at least get a workable solution for now. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if RGB LED works.