Moving Lightroom Catalog

Hello,

I've been told by my Mac that I'm running out of storage space....I deleted a bunch of stuff, but only have 6GB. I assume that my LR catalog is a big part of the problem. Would it be best to move the LR catalog to an external hard drive? Or should I just move certain Smart collections I know I'm done with? Are there a set of steps I can follow in order to do this without losing the link to the images? 

Thanks!

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Can you start by giving us some more info?  First, fill this out for us: http://www.damiensymonds.net/thread1.html

And then can you let us know how many LR catalogs you've created in your current version of LR, and how large they are in MB?  (Search your hard drive for .lrcat files and get info to find out the file size.)  Thanks!

I have a Mac laptop running Yosemite and Lightroom 5. It is under 12 months old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 6.01GB free out of 120.12GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

I had created two catalogs, but deleted one which was a practice one. I will have to look into the size question. I searched "lrcat" under documents and the files in the attached photo popped up. How do I determine size?

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.23.26 PM.png

6GB out of 120??  Holy crap.  I'm surprised your computer hasn't literally exploded. ;)  You have *got* to move stuff off your hard drive, and it's got to be more than just your LR catalogs.  These files tend to be mere MBs, as they're just maintaining the sequences of edits you've made on your files.

To find out the size of your .lrcat files, click this option in your Finder window:

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.26.23 PM.png

And if the Size column isn't showing in that view, right-click on the column titles (Name, Kind, etc.) and click on Size to get it to show up.

2 minutes ago, dbuhler1381 said:

Its hard drive has 6.01GB free out of 120.12GB.

Oh gee, this is really bad.  Brian always says you should have at least 1/3rd free space.  So aim to clear off at least 34GB of space.

4 minutes ago, dbuhler1381 said:

I have never run a cleanup program.

Definitely run this soon.

• Like 1