Help with website tutorial

Help with tutorial at link below.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/tut_white.html

Here's what I understand from tutorial and images.

You created a levels layer to enhance portrait to satisfaction.
Make a rough selection around subject
Added another levels layer and used white eydropper to fill selection to white.

Then I'm loss.

You paint with white brush ... but I do not get how to stop from painting
all over the hair.

FlowerTestImage.jpg

Edited by lacogada
1 hour ago, lacogada said:

You created a levels layer to enhance portrait to satisfaction.

Well, no, not "a" levels layer.  As many levels layers as it takes.  Some photos require as few as 5-10, others 20-30.  But yes, in a general sense, your point is correct - you edit your photo to your satisfaction first.

1 hour ago, lacogada said:

FlowerTestImage.jpg

May I see the SOOR of this photo?  ("Straight out of Raw" - that is, the raw processing done, but no Photoshop work yet.)  I need to see how the background was in the original photo.

7 minutes ago, lacogada said:

Damo77Mask.jpg

It seems that you don't understand that the painting is done on the mask, not on the image itself?

In any case, I suspect it might be a moot point at the moment, because your floral photo looks like it needs a different method for whitening its background.  That's why I need to see its SOOR.

20 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

May I see the SOOR of this photo?  ("Straight out of Raw" - that is, the raw processing done, but no Photoshop work yet.)  I need to see how the background was in the original photo.

20 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Oh, and if you could post it bigger, that would be great :)

@lacogada?

You are aware, I trust, that it is completely impossible to make this a white background?

If it was your intention to make a plain background for this photo, it would need to be a dark red one to match the current background (reasonably easy) or black (not too hard) or another similarly dark colour (tricky, but feasible).

So, can you clarify your intention for this one?

I'll press ahead ... let me show you one of my favourite methods:  Download PSD file

It will perhaps look more complicated than it truly is.  Basically, you choose a colour which is most desirable for the background (that is, most similar to the existing background, or an average thereof) and add a Solid Color layer of that colour.  Then immediately invert the mask of that layer to black, then duplicate the layer three times.  So you will have four identical Solid Color layers, all of them hidden by their black masks.

Then:

• change the blend mode of the first layer to "Multiply".  That will be the layer that you use to gently darken the too-light areas
  • change the blend mode of the second layer to "Screen".  That one will be for lightening too-dark areas
  • change the blend mode of the third layer to "Color".  That will be the layer you use to fix any wrong-coloured areas
  • leave the blend mode of the fourth layer on "Normal".  That will be your actual backdrop layer.

Then paint on the mask of the top layer everywhere, and close to the hair, but don't quite touch the hair.

Then use a very low opacity brush to "massage" the other three layers as needed, until everything blends nicely.

(I've also added one more layer at the top of the file, to demonstrate changing the colour of the finished background.)

2 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

You are aware, I trust, that it is completely impossible to make this a white background?

If it was your intention to make a plain background for this photo, it would need to be a dark red one to match the current background (reasonably easy) or black (not too hard) or another similarly dark colour (tricky, but feasible).

So, can you clarify your intention for this one?

Any type of mask that would keep most of the hair ... chose it as it seems very difficult.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I'll press ahead ... let me show you one of my favourite methods:  Download PSD file

It will perhaps look more complicated than it truly is.  Basically, you choose a colour which is most desirable for the background (that is, most similar to the existing background, or an average thereof) and add a Solid Color layer of that colour.  Then immediately invert the mask of that layer to black, then duplicate the layer three times.  So you will have four identical Solid Color layers, all of them hidden by their black masks.

Then:

• change the blend mode of the first layer to "Multiply".  That will be the layer that you use to gently darken the too-light areas
  • change the blend mode of the second layer to "Screen".  That one will be for lightening too-dark areas
  • change the blend mode of the third layer to "Color".  That will be the layer you use to fix any wrong-coloured areas
  • leave the blend mode of the fourth layer on "Normal".  That will be your actual backdrop layer.

Then paint on the mask of the top layer everywhere, and close to the hair, but don't quite touch the hair.

Then use a very low opacity brush to "massage" the other three layers as needed, until everything blends nicely.

(I've also added one more layer at the top of the file, to demonstrate changing the colour of the finished background.)

Wow ... that looks really good.

Have to print this out and try it out over the next few days ... Thank you.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Needless to say, we have no wandered a long way from your original question.  The approach for a coloured background is much different from a black or a white one.

Yes my original question was basically, how you paint on the mask without affecting the hair ?

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Damien Symonds said:

You're welcome.  Let me know how you go.

And I'd really love it if you could provide a white background photo at some stage, so we can address your original question.

I've looked but do not have any photos with near white backgrounds. 

Closest thing o white is the one I provided above … grandson in cap & gown.

Thanks

4 hours ago, lacogada said:

I've looked but do not have any photos with near white backgrounds. 

Closest thing o white is the one I provided above … grandson in cap & gown.

Thanks

Yes, as I said, I'm happy to discuss that one.  I just need you to do the raw editing first (of course we must never do Photoshop work until the raw work is done) and post it for me.

4 hours ago, lacogada said:

…. or maybe this one, other grandson taken outside on bright day.

LaneClose.jpg

The tutorial is specifically written for photos which are taken against a white backdrop.

The first paragraph of the tutorial:

Sometimes, when you photograph somebody against a white backdrop, you don’t quite have the lights to get it perfect in camera. Here’s a simple method for whitening it nicely in Photoshop.

It doesn't apply to this outdoor photo, sorry.

54 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, as I said, I'm happy to discuss that one.  I just need you to do the raw editing first (of course we must never do Photoshop work until the raw work is done) and post it for me.

Export from Lightroom raw edit.

Thanks

Edit_Damo77.jpg