Saving an image in ACR as a copy

I have switched from using Lightroom to ACR. I used to make virtual copies to work on so at the end of my editing in Lightroom I had the original RAW image and the RAW image processed. How can I save a RAW image I have worked on as a copy in RAW format and still have the original RAW image? I know I can restore the edited one to the original state. I know I can save it as a DNG. Is that smart?

Edited by pbziegler

Here goes. Treading very carefully. Actually this is my problem. For years I would just work on an image until I liked how it looked. Then posted it on the internet and enjoyed all the likes I got. I had my photos on a back up drive and catalogued with Lightroom. So over time most of my saved images ended up as JPEGS. The RAW images I saved as JPEGS so now when I look for photos to use in the course I am shocked to see have few are still in Fuji's RAW. I never use DNG in fact. But I want to make sure as I use Photoshop more and more I don't lose the RAW files. I may not understand that they are somehow preserved because I use XMP files. This is a area I never really paid attention to. So my real question is what is the best way to make sure that I still have a RAW version of images I work on in case I want to go back in the future and work on them again. I do see that I can open a RAW file I have processed and return it to the original unprocessed form but I am not sure how to preserve it as RAW. If I "SAVE" the file it there is no choice I can see to save it as RAW. And if I take it into Photoshop I understand I can't recapture it as a RAW file. Hope that's clear and not worthy of bitch-slapping. I have so many images that are all now in either Jpegs or in the format of some plug in software. I am not going to use the plug in software not that I am in process of really learning ACR and Photoshop with you. BE NICE NOW> I am a senior citizen of a country gone mad.

And stop using plug ins for processing. So I don’t have to save the file when I open it into PS. You have no idea how pissed off I am to see that hundreds of my images are now on my back up drive and show up in Bridge in some plug in format. I am going to see if I can somehow restore them to RAW but I doubt it. Waiting to activate your Layers course which I bought earlier today.

Good news is that On1 Photo Raw saved all the images in RAW. So I still have them as RAW files. Excited to start working my way through the Layers course now that I have abandoned all my old ways.

Great. It has been my habit to trash all the JPEGs once I post them. I do have many on my hard drive than were never posted. I will need to go into my backup drive to see if I have originals or just jpegs. I have jpegs from iPhone shots I know. I know use a camera app that shoots Raw. I just signed onto Layers. I use Bridge and get around it well enough for my purposes but I will check out what the course covers