external HD recommendations

SueR

My TB WD External HD are full and I need to upgrade and buy new ones.  I have a 6TB WD external HD but for some reason every time I turn on my computer it won't recognize the 6TB unless I do a full reset.  I just tried reformatting the EXHD and now it won't recognize it at all, grrr.

So I'm in the market to get a new EXHD and was wondering which one you would recommend.  I plan to do a 2nd back up on my 4TB WD that seems to be okay but I do plan to reformat once I get everything transferred over to a new one (which ever you recommend).  This is holding me up from doing any photography related things these days and I'm overwhelmed with how to get this all to work.  

I like G-Drives when it comes to Macs. They are more expensive than a typical EHD, but they typically use better components. Plus, they come Mac Formatted. 

What Mac do you have model/year? Does it have a Thunderbolt? 

it's a 5K , 27 inch 2017 impacted with 4.2 processor. Do I need a special cable with the one you posted ?  Are you getting the 12 TB size or smaller?

Edited by SueR

The G-Drives come with cables. Use the Thunderbolt Port for the best performance and get that drive I recommended.

I’m thinking on getting the 12TB model, though 8TB would also work. 

Thanks Brian!  This has been so helpful.   I ended up with the 12TB since it will last me awhile and I hopefully won't continue to end up with full EXHDs.  This has been such a huge hold up for me on getting back into photography.  We're headed to Alaska next week so I either had to buy new CF cards (hmmm, no!) or finally figure this out and download all the photos I've been holding on them since last summer.  Between this new one and my 6TB and my 4TB (which are painfully slow to do anything with but fine as extra back up)  I feel like I can safely erase my cards.

What do you recommend for off site storage?  Crash Plan went to the business side and I honestly haven't felt like I knew which company to go with (if any).

4 hours ago, SueR said:

What do you recommend for off site storage?

BackBlaze has been around forever and is a good alternative to Crash Plan, which has gone the way of commercial usage. I would also look at Amazon S3, but they do have a consumer side which looks affordable. Amazon Drive has 1TB of storage for $60 per year. Dropbox and OneDrive are also decent. So is "Sync."

Remember, the "Cloud" is just someone else's computer. The thing to watch out for is whether or not files that are in the Cloud get deleted if you delete said file off your computer. I've heard of some Cloud Storage Hosts delete files after a period of 7 days or so if those files are removed from the local "Sync" folder on your computer. Not fun if you are just trying to clear out space on your PC and want to keep those files in the Cloud.

The next thing is to see if a place takes an external HD of your files. This way you can dump to say a 4TB drive (after you cull-cull-cull and delete those 75 photos of your lunch from 5 years ago at a Diner you stopped at while on vacation...LOL!!) This way it saves you HUGE amounts of upload time. Then all you do is after they mail you your drive back is to set to backup your current files. This is especially handy if you don't have high-speed in your area and are limited to basic DSL.

5 hours ago, SueR said:

I ended up with the 12TB since it will last me awhile

As camera sensors get more Megapixels, the Raw file sizes increase. So it's good  you got a 12TB drive. That's the reason I'm getting one. I just got a new camera and the sensor is larger. 8/16GB cards just don't cut it anymore. I'm at 32GB at a minimum now, instead of 8GB. Maybe when it's time for me to click "Buy," there might be a 16TB option. Either way, it's 12TB at a minimum for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations.  I think I'll go back to black blaze since they don't charge by size of storage and like you said, they've been around for a long time.  

Thanks for all your help!  

• Like 1