How to navigate this site

Notifications 

On the site: You can see certain activity since your last visit via the notifications icon.  It's the globe icon in the top right corner.  If there is a number on the globe, this refers to the number of notifications you have.  Click on the globe and a preview of the activity will be listed.

56ad46dfea235_Notificationicon.thumb.jpg

If you would like to see the notifications listed on a separate page, click on View all notifications:

56ad52ac814fb_Notificationsviewall.thumb

By email:  Certain activity will also be emailed to you by default.  For example, if you have followed a thread and there is some new activity on that thread, you will receive an email that looks like this:  

56ad47808770c_Emailnotification.thumb.jp

You can click the Go to this post button in the email to go directly to that post if you want. The name of the member who has posted a comment shows as a hyperlink (Vanessa D in this example).  You can click that link to visit their member profile on the site.  At the bottom of the email are links to change your preferences and stop receiving emails if you wish.

Activity that appears in both site notifications and via emails by default includes:

• New content for threads you follow
  • Someone comments on something you follow
  • A member you are following makes a post
  • A member quotes a comment or post you have made
  • Someone mentions you in a post , i.e. tagging.  To tag a member in a post, it is the usual format of @membername. 

Activity that appears just in the site notifications (and not via email) includes:

• When someone 'likes' something you posted  (The like button is on the bottom right of any threads/replies)
  • When someone follows you

Notification settings: On a computer, you can change your notification settings by clicking on the globe and selecting Notification Settings

56ad545f2ff3d_Notificationschange2.thumb

On a mobile device you can find the Notification Settings by clicking on the Menu icon (3 stacked bars in the top right corner) and then clicking on the bell icon at the top of your screen, as shown below:

56f4bcc747a95_Menuicon.thumb.jpg.76b2739  56f4bcebd290d_Notificationsettings.thumb

You can choose the frequency of notifications as follows. (Ignore the "send me news and information" box as we are not using a mailing list.  Also ignore the option to "show popup window when I receive a new personal message", as we do not have personal messaging on this site):

56ad52a9637c6_Notificationoptions.thumb.

Note that if you think it likely that you will forget to use the "Notify me of replies" switch on your threads, tick the box that says Automatically follow new content I post.

Scroll further down to change the type of notifications you receive in your site notifications, and in your email inbox.  Once you have made your adjustments, click save.  

56ad5776c97e6_Notifications-further.thum

Repeat the process to change these notifications at any time.

Mark sections as Read

If you visit a section and see a solid star next to the section name, there are new posts & replies in that section.  If you are not interested in that topic area, you can mark the section as read (without actually reading the posts) by clicking the star.  It will then change to an outline of a star.

56b6c2518e9be_Marksectionasread.thumb.jp

The benefit of doing this is that it will clear those posts out of your Unread Content feed (accessible via the Unread Content link in the top right corner).  

If you want to mark everything in the whole site as Read, scroll down the bottom of your screen and click on Mark Site Read.  This will clear everything out of your Unread Content feed in one go.