Homecoming

Mary Burgy

On 7/27/2018 at 4:14 PM, Mary Burgy said:

I guess I am just use to seeing "studio" sharp and it isn't quite the same.

What lens do you use in the studio? A prime or a zoom? Traditionally, prime lenses are always a tad sharper than zooms. Also, you are dealing with natural light, which is pretty even in this photo as there isn't a huge contrast swing to help define things. I agree with Damien, this photo is fine.

I use my 24-70 in studio.   I think my SS needed to be higher.  The 70-200 is a heavy lens and I shake.   I shot these all at 1/400 and felt something was slightly off.  I practiced the next day at 1/500 and felt they were better.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mary Burgy said:

The 70-200 is a heavy lens and I shake.

I would invest in a monopod and a ball head. I've also found that going twice the shutter speed is better with digital. So if you are at 200mm, your SS should be 1/500 or more.

This is what I have:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660321-REG/Manfrotto_496RC2_496RC2_Compact_Ball_Head.html

What I do is leave the Ball Head slightly loose, meaning you want some resistance but not too much and you don't want things to flop over.  I call this "Freestyle Method." You can move in all sorts of directions while mounted on a monopod.