Saving jpg options defaults

When you save as jpg, you get this

Where does it choose initial values from? Sometimes I change these but generally they don't stick

And if I open a prev edited file I don't save as, how do I know what settings it will use?

Capture.PNG

Edited by meris

1 hour ago, meris said:

When you save as jpg, you get this

Where does it choose initial values from? Sometimes I change these but generally they don't stick

Capture.PNG

NEVER use Progressive.  Ever.  Only Baseline Standard.

The Quality setting is a moot point.  You always change that setting to suit the particular photo you're saving, and the purpose for which you're saving it.  (You'll learn more about this in the Print Sharpening Class.)  So even if you can manage to get a default to stick, it won't matter, because you'll need to change it most times anyway.

1 hour ago, meris said:

And if I open a prev edited file I don't save as, how do I know what settings it will use?

This NEVER happens.  There is not a single circumstance where you would legitimately open a jpeg file then save it again as a jpeg file.  If you're doing this, something is wrong with your workflow.  Please elaborate on your situations so we can fix the problem.

16 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

NEVER use Progressive.  Ever.  Only Baseline Standard.

It should save the same, only the last 2 options make the file smaller?

17 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

There is not a single circumstance where you would legitimately open a jpeg file then save it again as a jpeg file. 

I edit in PS and save as jpg ~10mb. Because I don't want to keep as psd ~200mb or tiff (slow & ~100mb). I need jpg because if I use a viewer to look at photos it needs jpg. If I blogstomp it needs jpg. Proselect can take tiff but only 8bit.

2 minutes ago, meris said:

It should save the same, only the last 2 options make the file smaller?

Doesn't matter. Optimized and Progressive are unreliable, you can't be certain that every program will view them properly.  Standard is the only one to use, ever.  Size is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, meris said:

I edit in PS and save as jpg ~10mb. Because I don't want to keep as psd ~200mb or tiff (slow & ~100mb). I need jpg because if I use a viewer to look at photos it needs jpg. If I blogstomp it needs jpg. Proselect can take tiff but only 8bit.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no.

ONLY save your master files as PSD, and ONLY use Bridge to view your files.

After the job is printed, paid and put to bed, you can convert your PSDs to jpegs for archiving.  But while the job is live, you MUST save PSDs.