FoCal software

Gera

Hi!

Is this calibrating software worth it?

I have a D750 and I'm noticing that my focus is not always accurate with my 85mm f/1.8. I also have a Tamron 24-70mm G2 and it seems Ok. Has anyone used it? Am I better off manually calibrating the lenses?

Thank you!

Before you start messing with AF Fine Tune, let's take a look at your Autofocus Settings. Head to the custom setting menu (Pencil Icon) and select Autofocus.

What are A1 and A2 set to? There should be a few choices in each.

A1 - Continuous AF - Release Priority. That setting allows the camera to take the photo, whether it's in focus or not. Personally, I have a much higher keeper rate when both are set to Focus Priority.

Why not try setting both to Focus Priority and really test that 85mm before we get crazy trying to fine-tune that lens. Use an Aperture of f/8 and take random shots. Random stuff. Stuff that is close-up and other photos that have depth. I want to see exactly where the focus is falling off. Post some examples.

Also, use Single Point AF and manually select your AF Point. This way we can see what you are choosing to focus on and go from there.

Would the problem be that shooting at f/1.8 is just tough nails? I took some and after checking the images I noticed most of them were front focusing even with the focus point right on the face. 

Umm...yeah. Especially on a full frame camera. f/1.8 is tough. It’s not like a crop body where you can put it at 1.8 and shoot all the things. That angle of view change is a tough pill to swallow. Especially if you are  close to your subject. 

Try shooting at f/2.5 and see how that works for you. Why f/2.5? That is one stop down from f/1.8. When a person shoots at f/2.8 on a crop body, that’s like shooting at f/4 on a full frame camera. It’s about a stop difference. So that’s the aperture I would start testing with. 1.8, 1.4, 1.2...those aperture settings, you really only have 1/4 or 1/8th of an inch of whether something is in focus or not. Like one eye is sharp and the other is completely soft kind of thing. 

• Like 1