Macro Lens Nikon 200 mm f/4 ?

rahullele

On 11/24/2017 at 10:02 PM,  Brian said: 

Nikon 105 f/2.8G VR Macro. If you are into detail shots or Macro Photography, the 105 VR Macro lens is THE one to get.

@Brian Someone touch based with me (They bought few prints from me.) and wanted me to take picture of flowers and other things ( how we'd put it as macro work). 

I ended up in local shop to search for second hand version of 105 macro. Old honest salesman told me today was my lucky day and handed me AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED in good condition. Price was reasonable, slightly higher than online version but i support local. 

Given that i will always need higher aperture (f/8 to f/32 ) for macro work (so f/4 should not be problem)  and given it'd be offering me higher (and hence better) working distance than 105 mm, i ended up buying it. 

Just wanted to check if this was mistake .. Yet to take test shot. Appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Also There is this radioactivity chatter.  i've 2 year old in house and i found this. 

Should i return lens? 

Or its safe but just to keep it away from my little one ? The closest she come to my gear is to dragging my photography equipment, picking up lens till we notice that and snatch it back from her. 

Or its not that much issue? . Something to keep in mind but not deal breaker. 

Umm...yeah. I'd return it. That guy is trying to off-load the lenses. Your lucky day, indeed.

Thorium Oxide that was used in the glass of the lenses of that era and is the usual culprit for the radiation. Thorium Oxide helps cut down on Chromatic Aberration and is no longer used in today's modern lenses. Your average chest X-Ray is about 10 mR/r, and your exposure on a Jet is about 5 mR/r. So, if that's your lens readings it is double or more of what a Chest X-Ray is! Your little one would need to be three (preferably more) feet away from the lens at all times to keep exposure to a minimum. That's why nurses stand a good 5-10 feet away when you go for x-rays, either body or dental. That's also why they put a LEAD cover over you when you go for X-Rays; it limits your body's exposure to unneeded X-Rays. Plus, you are putting that lens up to your eye / head isn't a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Radioactive lenses usually have a yellow tint to them, especially the older they are. It is rumored that the cure is exposure to UV Light from the sun over a period of days, which seems to help clear the yellowing. Otherwise you will be reducing the yellow cast in post on every photo.

Nikon is rumored to be coming out with a new Macro Lens soon, and something more than 105mm. I'm thinking between 150mm - 200mm. Quite possibly replacing / updating that lens. I was also thinking about a Macro lens, I have a AF 60mm f/2.8 D that never gets used and I don't think a 105 would either. I myself would like a 200mm Macro.

Again, I wouldn't have purchased that lens.

• Thanks 1

One other thought, I wouldn't take that lens to an airport. The TSA would be VERY interested in your lens when it sets off alarms. LOL!!

I've also have done some reading on this topic, it's ok to use for an hour or so every now and then, but don't store the lens under your bed. ;)

Another thought to the other thought...

You could use your Nikon D750 and just do an extreme crop. 24MP, especially if you keep the subject in the center of the frame, should yield good results. So I might rent a 105VR and give it a spin. 

1 minute ago, Brian said:

So I might rent a 105VR and give it a spin

In case that guy refuses to take it back. ( I hope he doesn't get to that .. but if he does ) .. and asks me to pick different lens. I saw Nikon 14-24 there ? worth a pick ? I guess he had sigma 150 mm and 105 macro as well. where to put money. 

In my country .. If i buy no matter how much warranty and all, it is very hard to return. max to max i can get different thing.

Don't know about US second hand purchase. 

The 14-24 is a legendary lens. I heart mine. Back before Canon shooters had an ultra wide, they would rent a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8G and a adaptor ring. It’s that good. Like prime sharp good. 

That said, controlling distortion takes practice. Moving a few inches here and there can change the edges, but that is normal at 14mm. 

Bottom Line: If offered, exchange it for a 14-24. 

• Thanks 1