Does autofocus matter for wide angle zoom intended for scenery

rahullele

Hi Brian, 

zeiss glass got some great reputation. But they come only manual for Nikon.

I was wondering if I should try one for wide angle where I guess sunset or mountain is not going to move. So to put it in question, 

1. Unless you are trying to put people in the scene( which at the moment I’m not) does auto focus matter that much for wide angle ?

2. If not, does zeiss got something really good in wider than 24 mm beating Nikons (labled as legendary ) 14-24 ? 

Appreciate if you can recommend something  

Manual focusing is a Pain in the Ass. While Zeiss glass is amazing, I will say it again: Manual Focusing is a Pain in the Ass.

I really don't pay attention to 3rd party lenses, as I'm a Nikon OEM snob, though Zeiss Glass is well regarded as being excellent. That being said, I have the Nikon Trinity and have shot plenty of sunrises and sunsets, and you know which lens I used the most for that type of thing? My 24-70. The reason is I can mount filters on that lens. One of the downsides to the 14-24 is you'll need to use a special mount / adapter and use drop in (Lee / Conklin) 4x5 filters. As for landscape and manual focusing, you'll have better luck in using a tripod to keep things steady. Just by moving your neck back and for an inch or so, can affect focus. Like I said, MF is a PITA.

• Thanks 1

Now for some unsolicited advise for you and anyone that reads this thread, and don't misunderstand me, I'm not being condescending at all. I've been called an Asshole from time to time and I'm not trying be. :)

Here is the thing with Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I suffered from a bad case for years and spent A LOT of money in acquiring it. Some by pure luck, other times by me saving up for things and taking on a second job to get stuff. 10 years ago, I was one tortured soul who really didn't have a life and didn't have a lot of money. Photography was a lifelong hobby of mine that I got back into do help me get out of my rut. I was obsessed with fancy / pro-grade lenses after using a friend's 24-70 for the first time. That single lens put me into the mindset of acquiring gear and thousands of dollars later...I'm able to say I have most of the things that I lusted after way back when.

The phrases, "If I only had..." or "I need to buy _________ in order to photograph _________" would normally come out of my mouth and in the long run, actually hold me back. Now I have all that fancy gear, a Nikon D4s, the Nikon Trinity, plus a bunch of other stuff...and you know what? My photos, while looking better than they did with the consumer stuff, still look like they were taken by me. *I* just now have fancy gear and still take lame photos. I've never gone viral, people aren't lined up and obsessing over me with hashtags and I generally don't humblebrag. Hell, crickets chirp most days. LMAO!!

All that gear...all that money...still didn't make me a better photographer. I'm once again stuck in a rut and this time, there is nothing to buy or gear to use as an excuse for my shortcomings. I need to improve my craft. Actually, I need to improve my photography and not get caught up in my craft. Saying I used 24mm at f/11 at ISO 3200 while mounted on this tripod and blah-blah-blah, that's not photography. That's craft. Same thing goes with music. Playing a F# Minor over this chord inversion and using this tempo in this key isn't music. That's craft. Same difference. 

So the reason I'm saying this is don't get caught up in G.A.S. / N.A.S.

You asked,

On 9/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, rahullele said:

Appreciate if you can recommend something

My answer:

How about mastering your lenses that you have now? Mount a single lens and use only THAT lens for a month. Figure out what it can and can't do. Push your creativity and eye. Try to make your 70-200 work as a macro. Or a 24-70. Figure it out. Granted, it won't be a true macro, but it can be close. I've done it. How about photographing a Sunset? There is more to it than just the lens choice and exposure. It's really about the composition and overall "feel" that you are going for. Do not spend another penny until you have mastered what you currently have. Because trust me, I've done this and still take lame photos. ;)

PS: Just buy the damn 14-24 and be happy, you won't regret it. :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you as always Brian. 

What would be fair price to pay in local store for good condition for used 14-24 ?

i’m good couple of years away from landscape photography but in case they ask me to pick other lens instead of macro I’m returning, I should know how much more I’ve to fork out. 

As of now, I’ve around $1100 paid. 

Thank you Brian!!! 

It’s for $1300. Looks in good condition.  I guess it’s not in ground breaking sale (although they labled it as sale) so I’ll continue to wait till I’ll be ready for landscape photography. 

I also saw 16-30 for $750. But I guess, if at all I’ve to spend, better put some extra and get 14-24 right ? 

I don’t like the 16-35. It has weird distortion at 16mm and 35 that cant fully be corrected in post. It’s crap at both ends, in my humble opinion. What is has going for it is you can mount filters and it’s cheaper than the 14-24. 

Honestly, I’d get a 18-35 FX lens over a 16-35. It’s sharper and is very economical. The main thing that people regret is paying such a high price tag of the 14-24, they never regret buying the lens itself. People have regretted buying the 16-35 and kick themselves for not buying a 14-24. Make sense? 

So I would get a 14-24, hands down and if the budget is tight, id get a 18-35, which is a surprisingly sharp little lens. 

• Thanks 1