iMac saving files in Photoshop

kelkolkat

I just received a new (wel refurbished) iMac. I loaded CC and Bridge.  Culled my photos, pulled them into PS and made my edits.  I went to save them and I can’t.  It won’t let me save them anywhere but to the desktop or just straight documents.  I can’t select a folder inside my documents.  I think it has something to do with iCloud but how do I fix it?

i read another post where someon didn’t have desktop selected in the finder window but I don’t even show that option.  In the iCloud preferences I unselected save documents to cloud and that allowed the documents folder to come up but I can’t drill down into the folders inside.  

5B550961-24DE-4BB8-94E6-FD6E248CDCB2.jpeg

8 hours ago, kelkolkat said:

I think it has something to do with iCloud

Yep that is exactly what is happening, iCloud is getting in the way. Your files are being stored there. You'll need to turn things off. Let's take a look at your settings in iCloud. Head to your System Preferences and then choose iCloud. Then click the Options Button and uncheck things. Command+Shift+4 will allow you do "Snip" a screen shot. This is what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.34.38 AM.png

While you are in System Preferences, if you haven't already, turn on the right-click for the mouse:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.51.22 AM.png

The second part of this problem is how Photoshop, or any other program for that matter, works within the Mac OS file-structure. Even though it has a pretty interface, there is still a Unix (Pronounced You-Nicks) Operating System to control things. It's very similar on how you need to choose what hard drive your folder is stored on a Windows before it will save things. When you go to do your first save out of Photoshop, click on the File Menu and choose Save As. From there you'll have a couple of choices. If you want to save your file to a folder on your internal hard drive, click the arrows next to "Documents" and select your username OR Macintosh HD if you want the main file structure. I'd typically pick my username, since I want my stuff being stored under the profile that I'm logged in as. It keeps things simple.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.46.41 AM.png

From there your screen should look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.47.51 AM.png

You might have to fiddle with these buttons at the upper left corner to get the "View" that you prefer:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.48.21 AM.png

Find the folder that you want to save in and click Save at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.59.49 AM.png

Now for the easy part....

I find it is MUCH easier to setup my folder structure first, OUTSIDE OF PHOTOSHOP before doing anything via the finder!

First, open the Finder

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.03.16 AM.png

Then choose "Finder" next to the Apple Menu and select "Preferences."

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.04.23 AM.png

Click the General Tab and and make sure these things are checked. You could also choose what happens when you open a new finder session. Do you want your Macintosh HD folder to appear (Root) or do you want your Profile Folder to appear first? I set mine to Macintosh HD, the internal drive:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.05.29 AM.png

After you make your choices, click the Red Circle at the top left to save things. Now your finder should be at the "Macintosh HD" directory double-click on users:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.10.10 AM.png

Select your profile name via a double-click:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.10.18 AM.png

From there you can right click and choose New Folder, give it a name, etc:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.14.10 AM.png

If you notice, by default the "Carousel View" is selected. I find it easier to select the column view:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.16.19 AM.png

Then you can click-and-drag the folder to where you want, or create new folders, etc. Fiddle with things and you should figure it out in no time. Now when you save out of  Photoshop, you'll be able to navigate your way down to where you want to save things.

AHHHH!!  Thank you so much Brian..   I feel kind of clueless now knowing I just needed to selected that up arrow next to the file name.  But I did also need to change those others settings too.  What a huge help.

I have another issue about working with two different Macs and syncing them.  Could you possibly help me with that?  Should I start a new question?

Again, thank you SOOOO much!!  Kelly