3 hours ago, LSSmith said:

As a semi-non-sequitor, as you're not a fan of Miller Labs, would you please share which labs you do like?

Almost all the other labs properly comply to the modern 6500K colour standard, as far as I'm aware.

2 hours ago, LSSmith said:

Just checked the manual to make certain. It is definitely an HDMI cable connecting the laptop and the monitor.

Terrific.  Even though it seems very unlikely, we can't discount the possibility that the cable is failing, so if you had another HDMI cable around the house that you could try, that would be handy.

You mentioned the calibration of the external screen; do you keep your laptop screen calibrated too?

What did the lab say about the prints?

Quick answers, for now.

10 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Are you there, @LSSmith?

I am. I'm just in post-huricane mode. I have to unpack my office and set up my office.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, Damien Symonds said:

I hope you got a good report.

I did. The only advice from the surgeon: If it hurts, don't do it.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:05 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Have you run Glary yet?

No. Partly because I'll be running System Mechanics by Iolo; partly because I can't do anything until the office is set up.

On 10/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Almost all the other labs properly comply to the modern 6500K colour standard, as far as I'm aware.

For giggles, I looked up Photo Labs using 6500K color standard. WHCC came up in the search. I downloaded and tested their soft-proofing profile. The images were noticeably duller in color and vibrance, when viewed with the soft profile. Not sure if this is significant. Any other labs that I should try?

Terrific.  Even though it seems very unlikely, we can't discount the possibility that the cable is failing, so if you had another HDMI cable around the house that you could try, that would be handy.

I'll procure one.

You mentioned the calibration of the external screen; do you keep your laptop screen calibrated too?

No, as I don't use it for retouching/editing.

What did the lab say about the prints?

The lab tech and I are playing Expert Level Phone Tag. I have another call in to the lab this morning. As I'm mostly in cleanup/setup mode for the majority of the day, the tech and I should be able to speak directly to one another today. Please, God.

More detailed response re: What did the lab say about the prints?:

Finally got to speak with a Miller Labs tech. Per the tech, the images look fine on his screen. He does see a bump in the brightness/contrast in the second batch (the ones with the "holistic solution") over the original batch. His recommendation is to recalibrate my monitor to the second batch of prints (even though they are ugly) so that I have a better baseline to go on with. Once I've completed the recalibration, I'm to re-examine the images on my screen, adjust as necessary to make them look the way that I want to (ie - not ugly), and send the readjusted samples to the tech via the handy-dandy link which he has emailed to me.

What sayest thou, to all of this? :)

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Recalibrating to match the prints would be fine if your screen didn't match your older prints.  But I'm sure you told me that it still does?

I went back and double-checked my posts. In answer to your question, the calibration with matching prints was from a few months ago. At that time the screen matched those prints. Should I pull out those prints and compare the onscreen version (under the current calibration) against those prints?

Absolutely, yes.

I didn't realise you hadn't already done so.  This is CRUCIAL.

To clarify: I am to pull out the prints from a few months ago and check the onscreen versions against them. Correct?

All of the test prints are darker than their onscreen versions. What once matched, no longer does.

Reset to factory settings and re-calibrate to latest batch of images (even though they're ugly)?

Well gosh.  I wish we'd checked this right away.  From your wording in your original post, I (foolishly) assumed you'd already done so.

Me, too. I hadn't realized that there was going to be a problem. *siiiiiigh*

Yes, calibrate again.  Compare ALL the prints you have.

Okie dokie.

As an aside, while I was waiting for you to respond today, I checked my monitors display settings (by selecting a button on the monitor, not via the system stuff on my laptop). It said that the monitor had been calibrated when I'd turned it on this afternoon. Is that normal? Is it important?

I am having difficulty getting a color space that closely matches all of the images. "User" and "sRGB" get me close in some of the colors, but not all. "Custom", no matter how I tinker with the sliders does the same. I am becoming frustrated.

I think that part of the problem is that the factory reset put the brightness to 100 and it's throwing me off. Any helpful hints to combat this?

.....Or, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by LSSmith
added question

It's always great if you can use Native, but that's not always the case.

10 minutes ago, LSSmith said:

"User" and "sRGB" get me close in some of the colors, but not all.

I would be astonished if it got them all.  Just choose the one that looks best.  Calibration will deal with the rest of the colours.

5 minutes ago, LSSmith said:

Re: Brightness - 80 would be more reasonable? or should I start with 90?

For now, just whatever roughly matches the prints.

Later, during calibration, try 80.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Is Native a long way off?

Unfortunately, yes. Even after dropping the luminance down to 8 (to get it to approximate the prints), Native was unholy garish and bright.

After adjusting the luminance, it looks like sRGB gets me closer to the overall lack of vibrance and pretty close to the colors of the prints. *taking a deep breath* Let's give this a whirl and see where it takes me.