Display CAl open source

Okay I am trying to get through to someone and am hitting a road block.    I KNOW how important calibration is and the devices.   I belong to a forum and there is a person stating the "DisplayCal" 
https://displaycal.net/
Is the same as calibration with a device.   I KNOW this can't and isn't right.    I explained and shared all the information I have ever gotten from you and your blogs etc.  I can't get this person to see the light.   Maybe I am wording things wrong?    He suggested this to someone and this was my response "that is not a reliable method for calibration for professional labs or out put. You need a device to calibrate a monitor it then keeps that information and communicates with the video card and drivers and you can store different color ICC and color profiles if need be. But it has to be done with a device not a software."   His response "This is open source software that drives older devices. I use a $20 from eBay calibrator designed for MacOSX. DisplayCAL gives me the drivers and software to use my old calibrator on windows 10. This would negate the need to replace the calibrator because the software doesn't work on windows 10. A free solution".    
How can I possibly shut this down and prove him wrong?   I need to do this so that others follow your methods not a suggestion like this.   

Please and thank you!!!!! 

Okay... thank you!!!  I just wanted to clearly understand this.   

I always try to be very careful of my knowledge and links I put out there.   I don't ever want to be called out on something because I didn't take the time to dig deep enough.   I am so glad you confirmed this for me.  I truly appreciate it and your time.   

I like you want people to follow the proper instructions of calibration as it's vital.  

Well you are the expert here... I would love to know more about this but I am not as educated as you are in this things.   I would be very interested as this particular person went on to say that many manufactures (as we know this applies to phones and all) often don't update their programs to force you the buyer into upgrading just because of the software.   I agree on that point.   I would be curious to know how easily this is to calibrate  or if you truly get the same results with say a spyder4pro on windows 10 or even a spyder 3.   It's got my curiosity now.