Additional flashes or low power strobe and system

rahullele

Hi Brian, 

i recently rented 2 B1X and tried to use my godox flash in optical slave (Which did not work) i was kind of trying to use it as 3rd light for background separation. That got me in thinking. 

Like camera and lens, light set up is system and given how inconsistent my Godox is, i'd like to put my money wisely.  

My expectations are really really high :( only fully satisfactory thing in my bag is latest 70-200 E Nikon). 

i'm thinking of using home and whatever ambient light i get, mix it up with flashes (couple of them.) to gain 8-9 stops total of light. 

I do not know if i should get 2 flashes and 2 umbrellas. or start systematically investing in gear per like what i was thinking in the topic.  

This is catch 22 for me. After lot of practice, i'll get better, but that will come at some messed up shoots and although there are some sessions (with my friends) which are ok to be mess, Some are not.. ( like Misericordia events). 

Can you please help me with strategy .. steps by step process, which will help me to have good system. One that will reduce components in renting for functions (Something that is not to be messed up)  and at the same time, will give me 8-9 stops extra light for messy experimenting shoots with friends.

At one point in my life, i see myself having small studio and i'm fine if it takes me years to get there, i'm more like .. not thinking to put any money which is not going to stay with me long term.  

Any input is much appreciated. 

Edited by rahullele

My Gear List for Events:

I shoot Weddings with a Nikon D4s that I bought refurbished from Nikon.

PS: Flash is set to manual zoom @ 50mm when using the FlashBender.

• Thanks 1

As for which Profoto?

Hmm...I'm still deciding...and saving.

Since I do a lot of Weddings and Events, this Profoto A1 looks interesting. I'd love to have a couple of Profoto B1X lights or with the Air System, but they are expensive. Then there is the new kid on the block, the Profoto B10 and will probably be my next major purchase. Oh, one of these Octas will be on my short-list if I ever get a Profoto Light. The problem with Weddings and Events, is lack of time; you just don't stop during a wedding and I'm not some fancy Photographer rockSTAR who has 10 assistants at their disposal during a gig.

Oh, before forking out thousands on gear, spend some money on education.

Zack Arias One Light 2.0

creativeLIVE usually has a 50%-60% Sale on Black Friday. But right now this class is on sale for $29 and I would BUY IT!!! The video you watched about the aperture to flash power relationship is in this class. Day Two he talks modifiers and goes over all of them. Since you are looking at opening a studio, that $29 will be a wise investment.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:31 PM, Brian said:

so I can have tax-deductions for 2018

seriously, can you have tax deduction on these things? I did not know. 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:45 PM, Brian said:

Zack Arias One Light 2.0

Is there any cheaper alternative.. its $200 .. from creative live ? .. how about this?

https://www.creativelive.com/class/seeing-and-shaping-light-lindsay-adler  or some other ?

Brought it, going through it right now. 

Thanks again Sir !!

Edited by rahullele
punctuation

20 hours ago, rahullele said:

seriously, can you have tax deduction on these things? I did not know. 

Well, it's not as amazing as it sounds. You don't get your all money back, the government isn't that nice. :D  What these deductions do is lower the amount you have to pay. When you are on-the-books, you have to figure in ALL of the taxes, not just the personal portion, but the business side of things, so you end up paying twice. My rule of thumb is to plan on paying 40% of every dollar you make goes towards some sort of taxes. Don’t forget about sales tax either or quarter taxes. Taxes, taxes and taxes. It's just not Federal and State, but Local (If applicable) and Social Security. Yes, I know people will say it's closer to 33%, but I like having a bit of a cushion, just-in-case. So by purchasing gear and being in business, buying stuff lowers the amount you have to pay...and you'll always have to pay. If you do this officially on the side, you can kiss your tax refund good-bye. Depending on the year and how many weddings I've done, I usually owe $200-$500 every year since I have a full-time job. If I didn't buy anything, I'd pay more.

To clarify, since I’m not “In Business” anymore and work as a subcontractor for someone else, I get a 1099 each year, so my taxes are pretty straightforward. That’s why it’s so cheap. If you are diving in with your own studio, you will be paying much-much more. 

Which leads me to my next piece of advice: Find a Good CPA if you are going full throttle on these things. Photography isn't all that it's cracked up to be...and don't believe for one second those stupid "Make a Six-Figure Income in less than 6 Months..." schemes. If they worked, they wouldn't be offering their "Secrets" for sale. ;)

Zack Arias One Light 2.0

Today price for that class dropped to $50. Buying it. This guy really test patience .. (Based on studio class i'm going through. ) . Thank you for the tip.    

Zack’s style is teaching for the masses. He will often repeat himself, but that’s for the people that take two or three times before it clicks. That $29 video is quite old, but the info is the same. 

Stick with it. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Brian .. I did stick with it ... completed One light 2.0 as well as Studio light. To be honest with you, i'd to muster every bit of patience i'd to finish it but .. when i started actually shooting, and making mistakes .. i realized there were just lot of tricks that guy was giving away... Slowly i started appreciating him more. 

I taken off camera flash and few other courses by Matt granger and no offense to Matt, that was just immense more learning with Mr Arias. 

Thank you for recommending that class to me .. Thank you for all the support in 2018 .. Wishing you and your family happy new year !!!

• Thanks 1

Hey Brian, 

I've completed zach arias studio lighting on creative live along with one light 2.0. Immense learning, to be honest, i'm not getting enough time to practice all learning. But i just saw another ad. $99 (original $199) for Joe Mcnally's class. 

https://www.creativelive.com/class/lighting-logistics-and-strategies-for-a-life-in-photography-joe-mcnally?via=site-header_0 

Given that i've completed those 2 classes above, also one from lindsay Adler about seeing and shaping light. Is it worth going for this class as well ? I know this kind of question is not fair but just wanted to take your opinion/recommendation?

All theory and no practice usually doesn’t add to the best results. You need to fiddle and play with your gear. I can tell you I fell into the same trap, as I have a bookshelf full of books and videos that don’t ever get that much attention. Knowing all the technical stuff doesn’t always translate to the art form side of things. I can tell you from personal experience of having all the data and techniques floating around in my head, only to completely blank out during a session. Theory doesn’t matter when you are “on stage.” 

What I would do is look on Craigslist for a Mannequin, one that has a movable head and torso, don’t worry about one with arms. Should be about $50 or so. Honestly, I’d get a female one to start with. Then practice. The benefit is the Mannequin doesn’t get tired and doesn’t move and doesn’t complain. ;) 

This same lesson was taught to me years ago, when I played electric bass a lot and was taking lessons. I got to the point that my instructor wanted me to go to auditions for bands. Even though we both knew that I probably wouldn’t get the Gig, due to lack of experience; playing with other musicians is a whole other world vs practicing in your room alone. Same thing applies here. 

Now I’m all for education and Lindsey’s posing stuff is decent but I think you need to figure out your style lighting-wise first. You can have all the “chocolate cookie recipes in the world” but you don’t know which one tastes the best until you actually make a batch. :)  

Use what you have. You don’t need $5000 worth of lights. Try using one light and one reflector. Zack built his business with a single Sunpack Flash, pack of double AA batteries and a 60” umbrella. 

• Thanks 1