File too big to save

It's been a while since I've done any heavy editing in photoshop, but 'tis the season, and I am having a problem.  I am in Photoshop CC, and I've just completed all my levels edits.  I've been saving my file as I went, but I guess I added too many layers, and now when I try to save the final file, it tells me that the file is over the 2GB file size limit so it cannot save it.  I do not remember ever running into this before CC, and if I did it was because I had too many pixel layers.  In this particular file, there are only 2 pixel layers - my original and one other editing layer.  The rest of the layers are either levels or curves layers.  There are 17 of those layers.  Is there a way I can save this file without having to merge any of these layers?  I don't want to lose the ability to go back and change stuff later.  Sometimes with fresh eyes I'll realize I pushed something too far, etc.  I don't know why this is all of a sudden an issue, but I'm hoping I can adjust a setting or something somewhere and it will allow me to save it?  

Oh yes, you are right - I'm working in 16-bit, so that is why it's so huge.  I did not even know what a PSB file was.  Do I need to change something in my settings to be able to do this?  I don't see PSB as an option in the save dialogue box.

Okay found it.  I was looking for "PSB".  I usually edit in 16-bit just to keep quality high while I'm editing and then usually convert back to 8-bit when I'm finished.  Do you think 16-bit is not necessary?

Sometimes 16-bit is very necessary ... but most of the time 8-bit is adequate.

16-bit is only necessary for photos that will require significant tonal adjustments in Photoshop.  The most common of these is backlit hazy photos that need black balance, as you'll learn in the Advanced Levels Class (please don't wait too long).

It's foolish to edit everything in 16-bit.