Best laptop for photography work

Anthony Glick

Hi there, I am a mac user so I would like to lean more towards investing in a MacBook pro. However I am open to other suggestions and recommendations and would love to hear yours. Basically I am looking to invest in an epic laptop for photo editing. budget up to $3000 approx. Cheers, Anthony Glick.

Gee, it'd be better to get something a bit bigger than 512GB hard drive, I'd say.

Also, I'll be interested to know what Brian thinks about 16GB of RAM.  16 has been good up til now, but I reckon when I buy my next computer I'll get 32 to be future-proof, you know?  (When I buy computers I buy them with the intention of keeping them for a long time.)

A Mac Laptop for decent photo editing? Up your budget by $1000. Take the most expensive MBP, increase the HD and RAM at the time of purchase. I can not recommend a Mac Laptop in good conscience due to their high cost. I second the notion of a Asus ROG Laptop. 

Why?

Laptops being manufactured today aren’t built like they once were. Your $500 laptops last 12-18 months, the $1000-ish Laptops last about 3 years or so, and the fancy MBP last about 4-5 years.  So in essence, you are “renting” your laptop from Apple @ $1000 per year. 

Of course, your mileage may vary and it’s your money. Here are the specs that I would choose with a MBP: 

EDE5B7CB-5263-4B81-B65A-C8C73C65A8E4.jpeg

• Like 1

As far as memory capacity, 512GB HD is pushing it, I’d rather have a 1TB Main Drive at a minimum, for both laptops and desktop computers. 

RAM? 16GB is the minimum that you’d want going forward, 32GB is a better choice and what I prefer. Today’s 16GB/32GB is yesterday’s 4GB/8GB. Just like 16MB/32MB back in the late 1990’s. 

• Like 1