Getting out of Aperture

hi, i have only really edited on Aperture since learning computers a few years ago and know nothing much else. my friend said i have to learn bridge so here i am. my question is, all my photos are saved in Aperture so if i get rid of that, where and how do i save all my photos, including the edits which are in Aperture? thanks 

Terrific.

23 minutes ago, Chris Majoroff said:

all my photos are saved in Aperture so if i get rid of that, where and how do i save all my photos

I've been googling this like crazy, and I can't find out where on your hard drive Aperture has put your photos.  This is so damn frustrating.

Can you do this for me?

for my laptop i have saved them in a folder on a hard drive, the whole aperture library. a guy from apple did it for me. i also have another library on my desktop but when i want to open a photo thats how i do it. i have saved some in my pictures and i can open them in bridge from there. just wasnt sure how to save around 60,000 photos and not lose the edits. i need a lunch break and brain break. back soon and thanks for any help you can give me

Edited by Chris Majoroff

For now (the next couple of months at least) I don't want you to worry about all your old photos.  They can stay in Aperture.

What we must concentrate on at the moment are the new photos you shoot.  Establish your new Bridge workflow with those.

For heaven's sake stop saving photos in folders on your desktop!  That's really bad for Macs.

7 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Can you do this for me?

Please?

I have a Mac desktop running safari  and Photoshop CC. It is over 2 years old, and has 8GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 375GB free out of 999GB. The last time I shut down was last night. I have never run a cleanup program.

sorry i have been away again. happens a lot as i have in laws with health issues 

8GB of RAM is the bare minimum that Adobe recommends for running CC.  You should be ok, but be aware that you won't be able to open too many photos into Photoshop or ACR at one time, or you'll find it starts to run slowly.

For a computer of that age, you definitely should run a cleanup program.  This one is widely recommended.

Sorry to hear about your in-laws' health.  Have you had a chance to do any shooting lately?  If so, have you avoided putting the photos in Aperture, and instead browsed them with Bridge?

i haven't done much lately but had a session planned today that has canceled due to their illness but i have it in 2 weeks now so something to look forward to. will a clean up program take away anything i may want that i haven't used like i have brought things like workshops and i haven't got to them yet and actions? i have started on getting rid of lots of the junk on my desktop. i am waiting on getting the right light bulb to do my calibration. the reason i still have safari is i am too scared to update as last update, it took away my ability to add any photos to aperture and since that was all i knew it was a pain. i got around it by not updating my laptop and adding the photos to the hard drive i keep my aperture library on. long winded but there is so much i don't understand. i am also old, we don't understand computers as well as young people lol. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Majoroff said:

will a clean up program take away anything i may want that i haven't used

No, absolutely not, I promise.  It's very safe.

5 minutes ago, Chris Majoroff said:

i have started on getting rid of lots of the junk on my desktop.

Wonderful!  Brian talked about the desktop thing at the bottom of this thread.