PS and exporting for print

Hi Damien,

When I start a PSD (I was making a collage out of full size exported JPGs) I have my dimensions set to the exact print size and 300dpi which is the resolution the lab requests. I export at quality 100, 100%, embed sRGB, etc. but then when I open the exported JPG in Photoshop again it has changed to 72dpi and the inches have been scaled up. I can re-enter 300dpi and then reset the inches so that it's still the same but I can't figure out why the files do not open with the same dimensions and dpi as I exported?

2 minutes ago, laural said:

(I was making a collage out of full size exported JPGs)

You MUSTN'T do this!

You're just wasting time and hard drive space.  NEVER create jpegs for collages.  Only use your master PSDs.

I beg you to take the Layers & Masks Class again.  It's been so darn long, and if you've forgotten this how much else have you forgotten?  As a previous member you don't need to pay full price to take it again.

4 minutes ago, laural said:

I export

Why are you exporting?

Doh. Well, I was using a template I used for a card a long time ago, and I know that the final sizes are 2inx2in so I do my sharpening based on that.

But either way, even when I export any other PSD file to jpg the dimensions and resolution are still changing when I reopen it.

I was exporting a layered PSD for upload to my lab’s ordering software. I even tried exporting from a flattened file but I’m getting the same thing?

Darn it, please answer the question.  Why are you exporting?

1 minute ago, laural said:

Doh. Well, I was using a template I used for a card a long time ago, and I know that the final sizes are 2inx2in so I do my sharpening based on that.

I don't understand why you included this.  What does sharpening have to do with anything?